Royal Court

Kundavai was tired. It had been more than three naazhigais since the court had begun and the problems just kept on coming. She hadn't been allowed a moment's break. Well, she thought, at least there is something I can look forward to after this infernally long court session.

The Chief Minister leaned in to whisper in her ear, "Devi, I know that you are tired. Pray compose yourself for some more time. There is just one more person whose issue is yet to be solved."

Kundavai smiled and replied, "Ayya, it is absolutely fine. There is no problem for me. Rather, I think it is the Kodumbalur Ilavarasi, the magnificent wife of the Crown Prince who is going to practically fall over in drowsiness soon."

Vanathi looked up from her seat when she heard Kundavai speaking and said, "Akka, what are you talking about? I am not even remotely sleepy." Saying so, she drew herself up in a regal fashion with a straight back and a serious expression.

Kundavai giggled and asked the servant to send in the next person.

A young man entered. With broad shoulders and a majestic walk, it was clear that he was no commoner. An older man walked behind him, almost running to keep up with the pace of the young man.

Having arrived at the large area where the people stood to air their problems, the two men bowed before the Ilaiya Piratti and paid their respects before the older man launched into a detailed explanation of their problem.

Meanwhile, the young man just stood there, unblinking, staring at Kundavai. He had sharp, piercing eyes, excellent physique and looked as though he had seen many a battlefield.

Kundavai felt that there was something more to him than he let on, but couldn't interrogate him about his identity in the middle of the court.

"Well, state your predicament," said Kundavai in an authoritative voice.

"Devi, this man arrived at my shop today and said that I was due to give him a sword made in my forge from an order that he had placed a week ago."

"Well, why don't you do so? Surely your forge has not suddenly stopped working in the middle of the week?"

"Devi, therein lies the problem. I have no memory of ever receiving such an order from him."

"Ah, but surely you must remember that one of your customers has placed an order for an item? As a shopkeeper, is that not your duty to your customers, your thozhil dharmam?"

"Devi, I am just shy of sixty years of age and have been running my shop for forty years having inherited it from my father. I have served countless customers, but I have never made a mistake so far." The shopkeeper stopped to take a breath.

"Calm down, Ayya. I did mean to offend you in any way and if it seemed so to you, pray accept my apologies."

"Devi, in what possible world could I take offense from the Chakravarthy's daughter, the-"

"Stop, Ayya, stop. Before you launch into an elaborate charade describing my entire family, I would like to come to a verdict in the case."

"Of course Devi. My apologies." Saying so, the shopkeeper dropped his head, waiting for the decision."

Kundavai was puzzled by the case, but due to the lack of time available to her and in her hurry to receive the olai waiting for her, she requested the Chief Minister to take a decision.

Aniruddha Brahmarayar thought for some time, with his brows creased and an expression of intense concentration.

Then, he opened his eyes and said, "The order placed by customers is to any shop owner, is of the greatest value to him and as such, I feel that it is necessary to believe his words, but to be fair to the 'victim', it is necessary that he be given a subsidy of sorts in his next purchase. Therefore, I think it would be best if you allow this young man to be given an item at half-price. That is, if it is a solution that both of you would accept without quarrel?"

"Ayya, although I feel that my memory would not have abandoned me so suddenly, I too feel that this is the best option, without any proof present," said the shopkeeper.

"Is it fine for you as well, Appane?", the Chief Minister asked the warrior.

He nodded, still maintaining his silence.

"Very well then, you may leave."

Kundavai's face brightened with joy and eagerness as she heard these words. Informing the Chief Minister that she was extremely tired, she decided to retire to her room and read the olai peacefully.

As she walked rapidly to her waiting palanquin, she turned back to make sure that Vanathi was following her. Vanathi, noticing this, nodded to indicate that she remembered her promise.

Sorry for the short chapter, but I had some work this week, so this will have to do. I promise that the next one will be longer, so watch out for that. Thanks for reading. Vote, share and comment! Nandri!