Justice for All

Vanathi was quite blown away by the hustle and bustle of the common markets. Having never even been in the area before, she realised the problems that faced the common man.

The marker was organized in a street. Both sides of the streets were filled with shops. These shops were owned by landowners and were rented for a certain period of time or just that day by the traders. The market bore a raucous atmosphere as the people needed to buy their rations and necessities for the week.

Traders shouted their wares. Customers argued with the traders about the price of goods and often created a ruckus. Children ran around, playing with each other.

Vanathi watched on as one of the arguments between a blacksmith and one of his customers escalated to the point of blows. Soldiers quickly entered the scene and pulled them apart, while enquiring as to the problem. Vanathi moved closer to listen to them.

"He stole my wares! He stole my wares!", yelled one of the men, who appeared to be the shopkeeper.

"I did not do anything of the sort! I merely took what was rightfully mine!", roared the other.

"You liar!" screamed the shopkeeper and pounced on the man again.

"Stop! Stop, I say! You fools, what is to be gained if you keep going at each other's throats? Is it not in your capability to find a peaceful solution to whatever problem it is that you have?" asked one of the soldiers.

"Ayya, listen to what this cheating schemer has done. Then, you may punish me for whatever mistake I have made in trying to land a few choice blows on him." The blacksmith said. "This man came up to me and said that he had purchased a sword earlier in the week and that he had paid for it earlier. Now, I think I would remember the promises that I make to my customers, especially regarding advance payments!"

"You madman, how am I supposed to be at fault for the mistake that you have made in forgetting the order that I had placed?" Asked the customer.

Vanathi interestedly looked on as the soldiers calmed the two men and told them to seek an audience in the royal court that evening to clear their grievances in front of the Chief Minister and the Ilaiya Piratti.

Soon, the argument had come to a peaceful end as both of them agreed to refer the verdict to the court.

Vanathi looked away from them and walked further into the market. Each shop was filled with wares, both commonly grown in the vicinity and exotic wares brought for far-off lands for sale here.

Shops could be found for nearly every daily need. Fruits, vegetables, spices, flowers, oil and many more items could be found in multiple varieties.

Vanathi explored the many facets and shops in the market for a couple of hours. Then, knowing that Kundavai would be growing worried about her unexplained absence, she decided to turn back to the palace.

Just as she returned to the palace, the gates opened without any enquiry as to her identity and Vanathi, surprised at it, looked around for the person who had opened the gates. Just then, she caught sight of the guard who had allowed her to exit earlier and smiled gratefully at him.

She had just about managed to go to her chamber and change her clothes when Ilaiya Piratti entered the room.

Kundavai looked to be quite sleepy and her hair was disheveled. She looked as though she had just woken up from deep sleep.

"Akka, what is this? You look as though you have been rolling around in your bed for some reason.", said Vanathi, giggling.

Kundavai looked around in her sleepiness. Then, a look of horror came over her face as she realised that the court was scheduled to be held in some time, and she wasn't even close to being ready.

"Vanathi! Why didn't you wake me up? It's almost time for the royal court."

"Akka, you looked quite peaceful in your sleep and I could not bring myself to disturb your dreams, very pleasant as they must be."

"What do you mean?", asked Kundavai worriedly. Was it possible that Vanathi knew what happened in her dreams?

"Absolutely nothing, Akka. You have to get ready for the court, which starts soon, as you said.

Kundavai looked at her suspiciously for some time, before sighing and returning to her room to get ready.

Soon, the two ladies were boarding a palanquin for the main palace in the city, the Chakravarthy's Palace, where the court was to be held.

"The daughter of Munnal Perarasar Paranthaka Sundara Chozhar, older sister of the Crown Prince Arulmozhi Varman, Ilaiya Piratti, Kundavai Devi is coming. Paraak! Paraak!", yelled an announcer who traveled on horseback in front of the palanquin.

When they arrived, the Chief Minister was waiting outside the palace, having arrived earlier, to receive them.

After talking to the ladies of the palace, they walked quickly to the courtroom.

A huge room, ornately designed with flaming torches on both walls, which provided for excellent lighting and a rich carpet, where people would stand and air their grievances. The carpet was flanked by the seats of the ministers of the empire, who would be consulted when formulating solutions to problems.

The Chozha system of justice was revered for its accuracy, speed and impartiality. The system was put into place during the reign of Sundara Chozhar and was carefully designed by the Chief Minister with inputs from the Chakravarthy and the Ilaiya Piratti.

The Court would last for two naazhigais and would be presided over by the Chief Minister. The ministers of all the important departments were also required to be present.

Soon, the arrival of the Ilaiya Piratti and Chief Minister was known to every single person who had gathered outside the palace in the hopes of getting their problems solved.

Then, the ministers of the kingdom entered the hall one by one and offered their respects to the Ilaiya Piratti and the Chief Minister before taking their seats.

When they were all seated comfortably, the Chief Minister nodded to the man standing next to him.

The man understood the signal and called for the trumpets to be blown.

"By order of the Chief Minister of this great Chozha Samrajyam and the grace of the Ilaiya Piratti, Kundavai Devi, this royal court is henceforth open to the public for airing their problems in a peaceful and orderly fashion for resolution. May it be so!"

Kundavai took a deep breath as the first citizen walked through the entrance.

Well, there you go! Hope you guys like it. If you do, please vote, comment and share. Next chapter on Saturday (hopefully). Nandri!