Adventure Awaits Chapter 10

We only got a couple of hours of sleep.
I opened my eyes and the first thing I noticed was that all the greenery was gone. No trees, barely any animals.
I sat up. A sloth crawled with an injured arm away from the trees. Poor thing. We've ruined its life.

We can't leave that sloth. It's hurt. I was about to go to it when all of a sudden lots of other sloths followed. There were babies and other adults.

No way.

All of these sloths had gotten hurt from our treehouse fire. They all wondered around for a home with their babies on their backs. The babies looked really upset. No wonder why they were so upset. Once they crawled out of the way, a dead baby sloth was revealed. I didn't know the sloth was dead at the time. I checked if it was safe around me,then ran to it. I was going to pick it up, then noticed it had a massive wound and wasn't breathing.
The damage we had done. My goodness. We could have put the fire out. But we didn't. Now a lot of plants and animals are dead. Thanks to us.
I looked at the sloth. It lay on its back, arms and legs spread out. Poor thing. So innocent and we've killed it. The thought of killing an animal made me panic. I started to cry when I turned around. There were sloths, birds and so many other animals dead on the floor. There was animal blood scattered around them. Some of the animals were severely injured but how could I help them all? The truth is that I can't. We just have to hope they live.
I ran back to the rock and sat down just to find Cassie looking around.
"What have we done?" She asked. "I thought the fire had stopped."
"Same."
I ran back under the rock and sat down next to Cassie. Jack and Lily were still snoozing.
"Why are there no helicopters looking for me? I'm not trying to brag but I am wealthy so I'm not sure why I haven't been found yet." She whispered.
"The rainforest is big Cassie, I know that because I may not be wealthy but I am smart." I whispered back.
She shrugged her shoulders.
Lily moved her leg and kicked me on the back whilst she was sleeping. I jumped and nearly slapped her leg. Good job I didn't, Jack would be so mad. I rubbed my back.
"Ow." I muttered.
Lily yawned.
"Sorry Jack." She said.
I'm not Jack. Do I really sound like Jack?
Cassie giggled and wrapped her arm around me.
"We'll find our way out soon." She said.
I put my head on her shoulder.
I closed my eyes and let myself drift into my own world.
I heard murmuring while I was dreaming then I got nudged in my back.
I screamed and opened my eyes. Jack was sitting up looking around at the empty, muddy ground.
"They're all gone."

Cassidy nodded and I did too.

"Every last one of them." He mumbled.

He scrambled to his feet outside of the rock and looked around. He saw all of the dead animals.

"No. No. No. No. No." He said louder and louder as he looked around.
"This is my fault. All because of our tree house all this wildlife is gone."

He put his hand over his mouth and tears swelled up in his eyes.

"I'll regret this for the rest of my life." He mumbled under his breath.
"It wasn't your fault Jack. You didn't start the fire.We don't know what did." I said from under the rock.

All of a sudden, he dropped to his knees, his head in his hands. He cried and cried and cried. I'd never heard a person cry so heavily. I tried to crawl to him and give him a hug, when Cassidy pulled me back.

"Let him have a moment." She whispered in my ear.

I sat and watched him cry for like 15 minutes until I stood up.

"The treehouse may be gone, but we can't just give in. We need to try and get home or make a place to stay for the time being." I said like I was the main character in a book.

"Don't you remember, Amber! We didn't build the treehouse, the man did that filmed documentaries, he built it with us." Jack shouted.

I nodded with guilt. Why is he being so rude all of a sudden? I gulped then quickly sat back down. I lay on the mossy ground and stared up at the sky.