Chapter 11

A bell began ringing.

"We must hurry. That is the nine o'clock bell," Mary guided Candace toward the door.

"Where are we going?" Candace inquired.

"There is a tavern several blocks east of here that is a foremost place for seeking donations," Mary disclosed.

"People are at a tavern at nine in the morning?" Candace was bemused with a slight smirk.

"Of course. It is also a lodging place," Mary rolled her eyes and shook her head, forgetting that Candace was from a different time.

They approached a long two-story building with brown brick on the bottom half of the first story and, on top, a timber structure with a roof of cedar shingles. There were 20 windows made with timber mullions draped with animal skins. Two doors were on either end of the building, and two doors were close together in the middle. Several smartly dressed men stood in front of the two doors in the middle. As Mary and Candace approached, the closest man tipped his black sugar loaf hat.

"Good morning Lady Wardale, and who accompanies you today?" the gentleman queried.

"Good morning Lord Waverston. This is my cousin Candace visiting from the New World. Candace, this is Lord Waverston of Peterborough. He is a family friend," Mary curtsied and nodded toward Candace.

"I am pleased to meet you, Lord Waverston," Candace said as she curtsied.

"What brings you here today, my Lady? Is Edward still at Newgate?" Lord Waverston asked.

"Sadly, yes. Corruption there knows no bounds. It seems they hold him hostage for endless payments," Mary opined and her voice quivering.

"I have inquired on Edwards's behalf, but you know how well-connected the Sheriff is. We must proceed with great caution. Can I offer another donation to help with your cause, my Lady?" Lord Waverston offered Mary.

"We are forever in your debt already, my Lord," Mary admitted.

"Nonsense, my Lady. Edward would do the same if the situation were reversed," Lord Waverston gestured to the other men to offer a donation.

"Gentlemen, I beseech you to help out this fair Lady whose husband has fallen on hard times."

Mary blushed and quickly put the coins in a small brown sack tied to her waist. She then curtsied and bowed to the gentlemen.

"Gentlemen, we are forever in your debt," Mary remarked. Mary took Candace by the arm, and they quickly made their way along the street. They continued to ask for donations as they made their way back to Newgate.

"I wish I had my phone to take some pictures and video. No one will ever believe me when I get back," Candace mused.

"Pardon me? What is this you speak of?" Mary questioned.

"Oh, I am sorry. I was thinking out loud. It is a device from my time that can capture moments so you can look at them later or show them to someone else," Candace explained.

"You must be careful not to speak of such things in public places lest the wrong ears hear you," Mary cautioned.

A crowd gathered near the side of Newgate. The group was excited and energetic, as though they were assembled for a carnival. Every few minutes, an enthusiastic cheer arose from the crowd.

"What is this?" Candace was puzzeled.

"Oh no, the executions have started early," Mary told her.

"No, no, no, this can't be happening. What will happen now?" Candace put her hands on her head and started to pace.

"The best thing you can do now is return to that cell and your time. Remember what I told you about the closing," Mary advised.

Candace hugged Mary and made her way back into Newgate.

The Jailer stood in her path as Candace entered the main door to Newgate.

"Did you acquire any offerings for the Sheriff towards your forfeiture?"

"Yes, Jailer. I have 3 shillings," Candace pulled the coins from a small bag tied to her waist.

"Jailer? I see you have been practicing your manners while you were away. Well done. That will be one shilling toward your forfeiture and two toward your lodgings," The Jailer laughed as he took the coins.

Candace made her way to the cell where she first arrived. When she entered the cell, two women and a child spread straw on the floor for bedding. Candace went to the corner near the rat hole and turned to observe the two women and the child. When they were looking away, she removed the device from her garments and pressed on it.In an instant, she vanished.