Chapter 17

Candace stepped from the hallway into thick heavy darkness that felt like a blanket enveloping her. Her feet seemed like they were on a rounded pedestal, and she could not move them. Like the deep bass at a rock concert, a slow vibration washed over her body. She called out but could not hear any sounds. She pressed on the doll, and the heavy darkness pressed on her even more. Tears poured out and collected on her face as she embraced her helplessness. The weight lifted a bit, and she thought she heard a voice.

"Mary, is that you?" the voice repeated, getting clearer but sounding like it was coming through a tin can.

"Edward, it is me, Candace," she responded, although she could not hear her voice.

"Where are you? Are you at the hospital?" Edward asked.

"No, I am stuck in thick darkness that feels like quicksand. Where are you?" Candace queried.

"I am in Theatre 5. I found another doll on my desk. One of the staff found it in Theatre 1. I hoped to talk to Mary to see if she could help, but I am connected to you now," Edward explained.

"I am praying that we are not both trapped in these portals now," Candace stated.

"What do you mean trapped?" Edward's voice was shaky now.

"I think Caritas became trapped in these portals, and when she pushed me into them with her, I have somehow taken her place," Candace clarified.

"How do I get out of here then?" Edward was worried now.

"Press in the middle of the doll. You should feel a small solid disc. If you return to Theatre Five, you must go to where the staff found the doll first. That will be closest to the portal the device is meant for," Candace explained.

"What do you mean IF I return to Theatre Five?" Edward whimpered.

"I am telling it to you straight. There is a possibility that you may end up someplace or some time completely different. Just prepare yourself for it," Candace replied.

Edward closed his eyes and pressed on the device. He did not feel anything different. Edward opened his eyes and was back at the stairs in Theatre Five. He quickly made his way to the speakers in Theatre 1. Edward closed his eyes again and pressed the device. Again he did not feel anything different. When his eyes opened, he found himself standing near the bed where Candace was at the hospital, but Candace was not there, and the bed was stripped and empty.

A contractor in full protective gear was cleaning the room and jumped back when he saw Edward.
"How did you get in here?" the contractor yelled.
"It is a long story," Edward said as he left the room and began to search for Candace. The Doctor that was attending to Candace was in the hallway, and Edward approached him.

"Hello, Doctor. Do you know where my sister is? Edward suspected the answer but did not want to contemplate it.

"Your parents did not contact you? She passed away a short while ago and was transferred to the morgue. Your Parents may still be there with her," the Doctor replied.

Edward looked at his cell phone. There were six missed calls and messages from his Parents. When he entered the morgue, his parents were with the coroner filling out paperwork.
"Edward, we tried calling you and left messages," his mother hugged him.

"But I was just talking to Candace in a portal at the theatre. I don't understand," Edward shook his head.
"Portal? Are you okay, Edward? You may be suffering from shock; his mother pointed out.

"I am sorry. I never explained the portals to you guys. This device may have started this whole thing, which could be the key ending it," Edward pulled the doll from his pocket.

"It just looks like an old rag doll, Dear," Edward's mother observed.

"I know this sounds strange, but can I see Candace?" Edward and his parents looked toward the coroner.

"You may. I will open it for you." The coroner opened locker number one, pulled out the tray with Candace on it, and pulled the zipper down on the body bag.

Edward stepped close, put the rag doll in Candace's hand, and closed her hand.

Both Candace and Edward disappeared. Their parents and the coroner stood in shock, looking at the vacant space.