Chapter 16

Edward and his wife stood with his parents outside the hospital room, looking at Candace through a window in the door.

"I can't believe they will not let us in there," Edward lamented.

"It is to protect us from getting infected. I know it is hard," Edward's mom put her arm around his shoulders.

The Doctor arrived with some papers on a clipboard.

"I am sorry, there is nothing else we can do. I will need you to sign these forms authorizing the removal of life support," the Doctor offered the clipboard and a pen.

Edward's father took the clipboard and looked at everyone with deep sorrow.

Edward and his mother nodded, and his father quickly signed the papers and handed them back to the Doctor. They watched Candace for nearly half an hour after the machine was turned off. She continued to breathe on her own.

"She is a fighter," Edward's mom wiped away tears.

"I am afraid I have to get back to the theatre. One of the staff called in sick. Let me know the second there is any change," Edward stated.

When he arrived, the theatre was jam-packed with a long lineup in front of the door. He was missing Candace even more now. He put his favorite picture of him and Candace clowning around at the beach when they were kids on his desk as he got to work.

With the crowds cleared, and the shows started, Edward settled into the office to take a break. He jumped back in his office chair when he saw the small faceless ragdoll sitting near the top of his computer keyboard. He did not want to touch it. Edward searched out one of the staff that was still in the building.

"Where did the ragdoll in my office come from?" Edward queried.

"I found it in Theatre One on the speakers in the front," the employee remarked.
"I have things under control. You can leave early if you want," Edward offered.

Edward returned to the office and stared at the doll as if it were staring back in some weird staring match.