Chapter 19 Death Magic

Inside the Brownstone at 7:40

*

Workhouse board members rushed into the dining room, and they screamed at each other.

"Yoleta provided us with on-site guards and security officers." Karen pointed at the men to leave.

"Rodrick's so-called son, Trent Jones-Hale, caused my grandmother's death by ratting her out to the prime minister. They tried to toss me in the workhouse when he realized her money would go to me and not them." Lana's son stormed out of the party.

Yoleta's supervisor, Lana, entered the room. "Everyone is so angry at each other. I wonder if he received a postcard with upsetting news." She plodded toward Yoleta, lumbering forward, each step slower and less coordinated than the last. Her pain did not affect the aged beauty's appearance because cosmetics were artfully applied. She wore a badge on her dress.

Former Leader of Marriage Laws. She sighed. "Prime Minister Sean-Mack is an idiot, but so was his tenderhearted poppa. Sean-Mack has the same first, last, and middle name." In a mocking tone, she said. "I'm Sean-Mack- Sean-Mack-Sean-Mack, the second. My adopted son is too humiliated to be called by my name, so he calls himself Junior."

"That's not true. Junior's birth name is Junior, but Ann is his mother, and she hurt him..." Yoleta's eyes widened. "Maybe you shouldn't say that out loud."

"I know Junior's real name. I'm joking, but it disgusts me how you treat him and Madd-Ox. Girl, I'm sick and don't care. I haven't given my entire job up because of your behavior."

"What has Madd-Ox told you?" Yoleta asked.

"It's what I told him. Little girl, you're overworking him. Junior needs Madd-Ox's protection because you asked him to run. Apologize for being a jerk, but I'm sure you'll be a wonderful Prime Minister, but you're being a lousy friend." Lana's smile fell. "Will you and Rodrick take me home?"

"Are you sure? We have to bring Avery-Joy's ex, and he is pathetic," Yoleta said.

Lana's fingers clung to her friend's shoulder to steady herself. "Yes, but I'll ride in your limo, not your creepy hearse, though the ride would be fitting. I know you retrofitted it not to carry coffins, but my last ride won't be in an old funeral wagon. Sorry, I'm tired and weak, and I'm afraid I'll die on the way home. Can Rodrick drop me off?"

"Your condition isn't usually fatal," Yoleta said as she guided her supervisor, Lana, out of the brownstone and into her vehicle.

The others followed.

Yoleta, Stanton, and Rodrick left and arrived in Lana's neighborhood.

Rodrick and Lana vanished behind the trees.

Yoleta and Stanton waited around forty minutes outside in the limo for Rodrick to finish talking to her boss.

Yoleta didn't hear screams from within Lana's ranch-style home, but when he came back, he wore clean clothes and scrubbed fingernails. She realized Rodrick must have killed her boss, or at least knew the man who did.

She didn't gag. Glimmers of sadness reflected in her eyes. "Why did you murder my boss? You had potential, and I'm disappointed in you."

"He had to kill her. She is a Kindness Rebel. Vex is sending the squad to remove all evidence," Stanton said.

Rodrick's broad shoulders slumped. "I didn't kill Lana. Vex doesn't want her deathbed confessions leaked to the media. She stored these clothes to protect me."

Yoleta scowled, her mouth in a narrow line, and her fingers poked at his sleeves. "She was our friend."

"Stop blaming me for her murder." Rodrick didn't look her in the face.