0.06

chapter 4: head in the game

...

The five of us were in Goodness class, and surprise, surprise, it was just us five and Fairy Godmother.

"If someone hands you a crying baby, do you, a, curse it? B, lock it in a tower? C, give it a bottle? Or d, carve out its heart?

"Evie?"

"What was the second one?"

"Oh, okay. Anyone else? Reyna?

"C, give it a bottle."

"Correct. Again."

Carlos looks proud. "You are on fire, girl." Mal on the other hand glares at me.

"From now on, I answer the questions." Then I am mute once again. "She's just picking the ones that don't sound like any fun."

"O-oh. That makes so much sense," Evie says looking at me sadly.

"Ditto," Jay says. That's when a girl with short brunette hair enters the room, squealing as she walks past us.

"Oh. Hello, dear one."

She looks at us almost fearfully but deep down, I think she's just shy... "Hi. You need to sign off on early dismissal for the coronation."

"Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?"

Her eyes widen. "Mom, no!"

"It's ok. Jane, this is everyone."

"Hi... that's ok, don't mind me... as you were," Jane says, squealing once again. Must be a nervous habit.

"Ahem. Let's continue. You find a vial of poison. Do you, a, put it in the king's wine? B, paint it on an apple? Or c, turn it over to the proper authorities?"

Jay and Carlos both raise their hands and just like brothers, they wrestle to get F.G.'s attention. "Oh! Ooh- get off."

"Jay."

"C, You turn it over to the proper authorities."

And then Carlos says, "I was gonna say that..."

"But I said it first. Come here!" Jay gives Carlos a noogie, wrestling him on the table.

"Ow!"

"Come on, who said it first? Who said it first?"

"Ow! Stop! Ah!"

"...Boys," F.G. says, hitting her stand with her pointer. "I am going to encourage you to use that energy on the Tourney field."

"Oh, no. That's ok. Whatever that is, we'll- we'll pass,". Carlos replies, and yet, I don't think they had a choice in the matter...

...

...

((tourney field))

"Jay, Ben, offense. Chad, Char, you're defense. Taylor, you're the shooter."

"Right, Coach!"

"Hey. Hey! Hey, you. Lost boy! Put your helmet on. Get out of the kill zone! Come on..."

Oh boy... "Kill zone? Wha..?"

"Pick it up. Put it on! Two hands." The coach blows his whistle and the drill begins. Jay picks the game up pretty quickly, Carlos on the other hand does not...

"Ahh! Jay, it's me! It's Carlos! Wait, stop, Jay. Stop!"

"Jay! You idiot! Stop!" Which I can say because I have permission to speak again.

"No, no, no, no. No!" Carlos falls into a fetal position, Jay flipping over him and making the goal.

"Oh, yeah! Come on, let's go! Oh! Whoo! Whoo, whoo! Oh! Oh!" Jay is now doing his ridiculous victory dance... yay...

Then, Coach blows his whistle, waving Jay over. "You! Get over here!... What do you call that? I call that raw talent... come find me later. I'll show you something you haven't seen before. It's called a rule book. Welcome to the team, Son.

He looks over at Carlos. "You ever thought about band?" Jay, Carlos, and I laugh.

"I'll work with him, Coach," Ben and I say at the same time. (At this point, I'm with the whole team on the sidelines.) We smile at each other.

"All right. Let's run it again...

...

...

Ben's POV

Chad, Audrey, Char, and I stop at our lockers.

"Those kids are trouble," Char says, seeing Reyna, Mal, and Evie.

"Come on, Char. Give them a chance." Well, maybe not Mal... I'm not sure yet...

"No, offense, Ben, but you're just too trusting. Look we all know your mom fell in love with a big nasty beast who turned out to be a prince. But with Audrey's mom, the evil fairy was just the evil fairy. That girl's mother."

I look over only to see just Mal and Reyna. "I think you're wrong about them." Still not sure about Mal, but I won't tell Char that.

"Yeah, Char, shut up," Audrey and Chad say at the same time.

"I'll see you guys later..." I walk over to the girls only to realize that Reyna is now alone.

...

Reyna's POV

I shut my locker, turning around to see Ben.

"Hey!"

"Hey."

"How was your first day?"

"So good."

"Hey, did Mal do that?" He asks looking at her locker.

"Yeah, she did..."

"She should really think about taking that talent off the locker and into art class. Let her know that I think she should sign up?"

"Yeah, if you want to call vandalizing school property art... look, I know you're trying to give us all the benefit of the doubt but for some of us, you really shouldn't."

"Why?"

Before I could answer him, I felt the burning sensation on my neck again. Which was followed by the splitting headache. Before I could cry out, I ran off... Ben cannot find out what Mal is doing to me.. no one can...

...

...

a/n: thoughts?... so, i'm having trouble with audey's ship. should i make another oc or pair her with chad?