Chapter 1: A Change in Time

"What great times..."

The throne room of the 41, which no enemy ever entered, made of valuable metals, was being visited by the Ruler of the Tomb itself. Momonga, the esteemed Guildmaster of Ainz Ooal Gown, made his presence known. Majestic and ethereal, adorned in divine robes that greedily absorbed the very essence of light around them, he stood as a skeletal figure, a testament to his otherworldly power.

[16:55:21]

Momonga glanced at the time. It was far too soon to leave the game. Like the sweet nectar of honey, these final moments were meant to be savored. However, he pondered the taste of honey, a delicacy that had eluded his senses since bees had vanished from the world many decades ago.

'I got some extra free time today. Worked my ass off just to get some more time on Yggdrasil's last day.'

Within his bony grip, he clutched the guild weapon, a precious artifact forged in unity with his comrades, its power rivaling that of a world item. It was almost as strong as a world item, but it could be destroyed, and the whole guild would cease to exist. That meant everything his comrades invested in all these years would perish. Thus, he never ventured beyond the tomb's confines with this cherished possession, lest it falls into the wrong hands and invites catastrophe. Yggdrasil was no fair place, and should the enemies of Nazarick discover the guild item roaming unchecked upon the surface, they would stop at nothing to claim it for their nefarious purposes.

Recalling an important revelation bestowed upon him by the strategic mind of Ainz Ooal Gown, the esteemed Punitto Moe, Momonga's thoughts veered toward the said location. 'I remember something important Punitto told me before he left. A location that I should visit sometime. He said it would be worth it. Now, where was that exactly?..'

Punitto Moe taught Momonga one or two tricks in life. Without his guidance, he would've made twice as many mistakes. The Overlord appreciated that every day.

'I know! He said something about a boss in Alfheim, some hidden boss who should drop a scarce item! But I was already too high of a level for that region and ignored it. Should check that out before the game ends. Just for fun. And for my curiosity.'

The Ring of Ainz Ooal Gown shimmered with a faint luminescence, transporting Momonga to the guild room where countless conventions had occurred. He reverently placed the staff in its designated spot, reserved solely for its presence. Often it remained untouched, waiting for its master's touch, yet sometimes it served merely as a prop in the elaborate theater of roleplay.

'I will not risk getting you destroyed. Can't just risk ending our whole work with my stupidity.'

With a gentle, almost ethereal movement, the staff floated gracefully into its designated socket, secured in its rightful place. Without delay, Momonga departed, employing his teleportation abilities to ascend to the pinnacle of Nazarick, where he could teleport freely. Though at times inconvenient, the safety measure preventing teleportation within the tomb ensured that no intruder could escape or randomly trespass upon its grounds.

"[Gate]"

A violet portal materialized, and the Overlord stepped through its shimmering threshold. Emerging on the fringes of Alfheim, he immediately discerned the subtle shift in the surrounding environment from the desolate realms of Helheim. The landscape teemed with an abundance of towering wonders, colossal trees that stretched skyward, their majestic heights reaching an astonishing hundred meters. A symphony of bird melodies and myriad forest sounds enveloped him, which made it almost too real.

'Now I just have to find the giant tree circle Punitto was talking about. Was it made of 4 or 5 trees? I don't remember anymore what he said exactly.'