Chapter 3: Recognition

The wind blew, and pages turned. A coincidence? No. The magical book was said to be extraordinary in every way, being so powerful to record any spell ever cast. An artifact that would grant the owner knowledge of all spells ever existed. Thus, it must be protected from any risks of ever being stolen. But who would dare to steal such a book protected by many powerful spells? Nobody? Even with all the knowledge of countless spells imbued into it, no man or woman would risk their lives to find and claim it as their own.

And as the air shifted, in the latest page, a new spell arose. It was described as even of a higher tier than the greatest one. Only with this book this was confirmed. Only with this book could one attain knowledge that would take centuries to learn with normal means.

"Interesting..."

A deep voice sought to fill the silence in a great hall. It was certainly curious about the new inscription in the book, which made him wary.

"It seems a new one descended. Old friend, perhaps it is time you should revisit me."

Even from a single spell, one whose powers surely rivaled his own, he was made aware of an entity, possibly on par with his strength. Yet such an entity was not even aware of being found out. Rather, it found complete safety in its own tomb, which it ruled over as its master.

This time, this being was doing something that defiled nature and physics altogether. An act that should have been forbidden by whatever divine entity was ruling over this world. Yet no such interference was seen or felt. Thus, the entity took it for granted and continued its feats.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now, to continue the act."

He crafted a powerful artifact in his glorious chambers, seemingly a fallen world in the shape of a leaf. In reality, creating an item with the power of a world from nothing but an ability should be unthinkable. However, this looked to be sufficient for such a thing to happen.

Now, with one leaf in its hand, the undead lord fused it with its staff, which was no mere staff but a sentient weapon capable of many things. And even when its owner didn't notice, the more power it obtained, the more its ability to think grew. Yet it implied the staff didn't want to speak, as it already could in some manners. Was it waiting for permission from its master? Or simply out of its interest? Nobody but itself knew that.

And as further power filled the staff, the Overlord could choose a new ability. He, of course, was not one to select such an ability at a whim. He would rather decide upon hours, which one he should choose. Yet it made him feel bizarre, knowing such powers were alone in his hands. But his nature kept his sanity clean of madness.

"It gets harder every time I have to choose. I know I can't add anything more to it than 7, so I have to be equally careful about my choices. Mmh..."

The Overlord scrolled the menu up and down, slowly limiting his choice to fewer and fewer skills.

"That, no. Maybe this one. No..."

This continued for hours upon hours. After the first hour, he thought of a system to eliminate the ones he wouldn't choose at first. Then he would select the ones with poor chances of being chosen until he got to where he could decide from 2 to 3 abilities which he would definitely take.

"It's between [Time Mastery], [Race Shifter], and [Beyond Limits]. With the first, I could be able to use more time-related spells, which I think weren't even available in the game. But that grants me only spells, which one with Time Manipulation Resistances could easily ignore. The second ability would allow me to change to a different race once daily, from which I can select all the classes myself. Stupidly overpowered, but not something I really need at the moment. But the third one is the one I require the most out of these three. Who needs all the other stuff when I can go beyond level 100? I can expand my hp, mp, and basically everything. But one thing I have to be cautious about is the classes that I would gain. There had to be certain requirements to learn classes in Yggdrasil, but here it seems I have no information in that regard. Maybe if I do something for so long, I will gain a class in it..."