Chapter 6: Defiance

"I thank you for coming here. As you know, something serious has happened just before. Shalltear... has been possessed by something I feared the most, a world item." Ainz spoke, his voice carrying the weight of the situation. The guardians' expressions turned to one of astonishment as they absorbed what their master just said.

"World items, here?" Demiurge asked, visibly bewildered.

"Yes, their existence has found itself in this world as well. And Shalltear has been mind-controlled by one. From what I could see, it was a group of humans, yet no near ordinary." Ainz responded, his voice tinged with growing anger.

"Then we shall crush them, Lord Ainz!" Aura declared.

"That's the spirit, but it's not possible for now, Aura. We don't know how strong they are and what other world items they might possess. They could be players, but I doubt it. Also, we cannot attack all humans based on this aggression." Ainz explained, his tone measured.

"We shall fight Shalltear then for defying your will, Lord Ainz. All the guardians will stand with you." Demiurge proposed, garnering agreement from the other NPCs.

"We will discuss this further in my office. You will wait there until Albedo and I return." Ainz instructed the guardians, conjuring a portal to the mausoleum before departing with the Overseer. Silence hung heavy in the room until Albedo found the courage to ask.

"What are we doing here, my lord?" Albedo questioned. Ainz remained silent for a prolonged moment before responding.

"Albedo, I will fight Shalltear alone. Please, you have to understand this." Ainz stated. Albedo's eyes widened, comprehending the gravity of her lord's words as he surprised her all of a sudden with something she did fear the most.

"No, wait! You cannot fight her alone! We will stand by your side! We are your Guardians. We are here to protect you! Please, Lord Ainz! Let us protect the last Supreme Being!" Albedo begged, tears glistening in her eyes as she clutched Ainz's robes.

"I have to do this, Albedo. Understand that this is my fault, so it is my responsibility to fix my error. I will defeat Shalltear and prove myself worthy to rule over Nazarick! I have already decided this, and nothing will change my mind." Ainz declared, determination blazing in his gaze.

"Lord Ainz, you are aware of the danger Shalltear poses! Please, allow us to assist you!" Albedo persisted, her grip unyielding.

'Should I tell her about the staff and that it is now a world item? Not exactly.' Ainz contemplated briefly before offering a different assurance.

"Albedo, if there is a possibility that my HP is very low, I will be teleported to the throne room immediately. I have made arrangements so that I cannot be eliminated outside of Nazarick. Trust in this if you don't trust in my ability to fight Shalltear." Ainz reassured the Overseer, who looked at Ainz with a perplexed gaze.

"But, how?" Albedo inquired, baffled.

"You have to promise to keep this a secret. But I will not tell you more than that it is possible." Ainz replied, divulging less than she anticipated. He must have his reasons for withholding information, and Albedo chose not to press further.

"As you wish." Albedo complied, letting go of his cloak as she regained her posture.

"Then you may return to the others." Ainz instructed, and a portal appeared behind Albedo. Hesitant, she left her lord's side, understanding her duty to follow his commands.

Once again, Ainz was alone.

"My mana must be full again. Twelve minutes, if I'm right? That should be enough." Ainz pondered to himself before teleporting to the forest where Shalltear was located, albeit at a safe distance, in case of an ambush.