Chapter 12: Demonized

Under the sun's warm embrace, roses flourished in the royal gardens, their petals aglow with vibrant colors. Lilypads delicately floated atop a serene pond, tended to by diligent servants. Amid this picturesque scene, two carefree children played and sang, their laughter echoing through the garden. Observing this, one couldn't help but be captivated by the innocence and joy that permeated the air.

It was a day etched into his memory, a day of peace he wished would last forever. Despite knowing it wouldn't last forever, he embraced the moment, savoring every precious second.

"Renner, Zanac!" He called out to the two, making them cease playing catch and walk towards their father. "Come here, you two. Here, take something to eat. You need it." He handed each child a branch laden with succulent berries, carefully cultivated in the royal gardens. The youngsters savored the sweetness, as their faces glew up when eating them.

"Thank you, father." Expressed young Zanac, his mouth filled with berries. Renner ate the berries slowly while watching the wind carry through the roses.

"Your welcome, Zanac." He replied with a warm smile, appreciating his son's polite manners.

He watched until they finished eating, and then they left to play whatever the kids played.

"Father, come play too!" Urged Zanac. "We can play catch, but you'll have to catch us!" A challenge worthy for a king indeed. He stood up from his chair and decided to play their little game.

"Alright, but don't complain if I catch you too quickly." He prepared to catch them, gradually pacing up to their speed. They weren't fast, but he tried to be as fair as possible, not speeding up his tempo to let them escape.

"Come on, father!"

"Can't get us!"

He only smiled at their remarks, bracing himself to catch Zanac first and then Renner, but something felt off. The distance between the two didn't decrease; it even increased. He tried to run as fast as possible, but it changed little. The picture of his children distorted even more until there was nothing but a void before him, the voices of his kids only but an echo.

Yet it was not long dark as he heard a door open, light peeking through to his room. He saw a maid coming in. Seeing him awake, she rushed to him with haste.

"Your Majesty! Are you alright? Are you feeling any better?" She asked, genuinely worried about his well-being. Probably the only maid in the palace who did so with heart.

"Better? Yes, better than before..." He reassured her, his thoughts lingering on the dreamlike experience he had just encountered. Satisfied with his response, the maid retreated, leaving him to ponder the strange reverie.

She walked with a hustle to the next room, where the king's two children patiently waited for his awakening. Zanac glanced out of the window up to the sky, seeking eternal knowledge in the stars. His sister, Princess Renner, sat on a king blue-colored settee, sipping tea.

"Renner, what do you think will happen now? This Ainz sure made quite the introduction." He broke the silence, his sister still drinking the cup clear, waiting for a good moment to respond.

"He seems quite formidable. But why not do as he asks, brother?" She suggested what every person would think the best choice to be. Accept or die. There was no middle ground, no escape, no counteroffer.

Instead of laughing at her proposition to practically give up to one man, he made a thoughtful gesture, considering what would happen if they acted that way. "You could be right. But that move will weaken the royal family even further as if we aren't almost thrown from power right now. The nobles could act at every moment now that we no longer have a strong family member anymore, at least in their eyes. For them, this is but an opportunity as they fail to see the importance of this situation."