00

Dean had just finished up a hunt in Louisiana when his phone rang.

He answered. "Hello?"

A child's voice spoke on the other end. "Mommy said you'd help."

"Who's your mom, kid?"

He heard rustling and a woman's voice. "Dean? It's Marta. A monster attacked me and Phoebe. She's okay, but I..."

"Wait, we have a kid?"

She scoffed. "That's your takeaway? Yes. It's bad, Dean. I need you to take her and raise her."

"Marta, I know next to nothing about raising a kid. Why can't your folks?"

"I don't want them anywhere near her. You remember what they did to me."

"All too well. Okay, are you still in Reno?"

"Yeah."

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you."

By the time he reached the apartment, it was too late. Marta Andrews had died.

A little girl with dark eyes and messy hair walked up and looked nervously at Dean before yelling, "Stanger!"

Dean knelt down. "Hey, Phoebe. I'm your dad. It's okay."

Phoebe stared at him and grabbed a book. She flipped open to a page and pointed to something.

'Marta, I know how much you love this author, so I made sure you didn't have this, and got it for you. Happy birthday.

Yours forever, Dean'

Dean smiled sadly at the copy of Emma. "That was from me. Smart kid. How about we go pack a bag, huh?"

"Is Mama otay?"

"No, I'm afraid not. But I'm gonna take care of you now, okay?"

Phoebe nodded. "Otay." She entered her bedroom. "Wait."

"Okay, I'm waiting."

Phoebe tried getting a backpack, but couldn't reach. "Hep."

Dean grabbed the backpack, then a small suitcase, and helped Phoebe pack her stuff up.

When he was satisfied he had enough for her, he got her car seat in the back of the Impala and helped the little girl buckle in.

Phoebe yawned and soon fell asleep. Dean glanced back at her with a small smile as he turned the volume down and continued his drive to California.