Chapter 3

She was a wild-card entry.
Amidst the pages of my story.
After me.
After everything about me
comes to cease.
Just after my story
narrows down to death.
I wished her name
at the end of its last page
would let me live a moment more
.
.
.
Or I wish her name would end it all.

16th December 2018. It was already half past eight in the morning. I stopped the ball that I was dribbling between the markers and after heavy practice sessions, I commanded everyone to disperse from the ground. I stood exactly at the centre of the football pitch. The markers spread around the area. The ball, which was still on my feet, started rolling after I gave it a little jerk with my outer foot, and it just stopped beside the first marker. I bent down and picked the marker up from the ground. Slowly, I rolled the ball directing it towards other markers and collected all of them. I stood up and looked at the other side of the ground. The group of Kho-Kho players were still stretching and cooling themselves down. I again knocked the ball in their direction and started walking towards them slowly, lifting all the markers in my hand.

I watched the ball rolling down the ground when suddenly it strikes Kshiti on her left leg who held her right knee in air supporting it with both of her hands, trying to lift her leg and do some pelvic stretches. She lost her balance for a moment but at no time, recovered her posture and stared at me. I rolled my eyes all over her and looked at her shaky stance. Her energy was already drained out. The annoyance was clearly visible by the way she looked at me and all her impatience was evident through the way she was drilling. I smiled. She gathered her hair up into a high bun, but a few strands were still framing her face. Behind her strands were little droplets of her sweat, which slowly extended towards the sharp and shiny jawline she had. Her T-shirt was already cloaked of her perspiration. I again ran my eyes all over her. Possessor of a well-toned and maintained body, it was clearly noticeable how well she has been trying to maintain her physique.  All the well-defined curves and muscular cuts, perfectly lined up with each other. She was flaming; and Hot!

I took my eyes off her and shouted

-"Everyone, off the ground. Pack up and move. Time to go home."

Everybody started moving out. Kshiti kicked the ball towards me and walked away from there. I lifted the ball in my other hand and left the ground after her.

Since, the school was off that day, only the athletes were asked to come. So, after the practices, everyone boarded their buses. Kshiti was sitting exactly where she used to sit every day and I was sitting at my same old place at the end of the bus. She unchained her bag and took out a book, unfolded the page she had marked and dropped down into pretty little world of her favourite characters. Ambience at the end was absolutely different. All the jolly ones were sitting, poking, and ridiculing each other when suddenly I heard a loud whisper

-"Come on, Jeet! Go to her. Don't miss the chance."

Everyone looked at Kshiti for a second, then turned their face and while looking at Jeet they all smirked. I did not understand what was happening there. I raised my eyebrows, toned my head forward and while rolling my eyeballs over everyone, I asked in a deep voice

-"What's the matter, guys!? Is there something...."

Before I could complete my sentence, an unknown voice interrupted

-"It's not only 'something'. You wouldn't see a better couple than them."

Listening to this, everyone started laughing, the speaker, who earlier looked confident about his remark itself burst into laughter. I was the only person who was unaware about them being together for nearly a year. Jeet was one of the finest players of our football team and classmate of Kshiti. He never talked about Kshiti. He was reckless, careless, and almost all the time acted immaturely. The boy was way too obstinate with slangs and his filthy mind, mostly bragging about sex and his fantasies for his girl as well as others.