One

October, 2014

        Cataloochee, Haywood County, North Carolina

“Don’tcha close those eyes, damn ya, or I’ll send your balls through the top of your skull!”

        Jamie groaned as he felt a foot in his backside, barely able to keep himself upright–even on his knees–as he instinctively maintained his grip on his young nephew. Said toddler was unconscious against his chest, his weight seemingly heavier than it really was from where he’d gone limp against him.

        Right behind them, Jenny and Ian were collapsed in a heap next to each other, hands clutching each other’s for dear Life. Both were as unconscious as their son, but the fact that they were still breathing was at least somewhat reassuring. The best part was that this Time around, it was far too cold for Snakes due to the Change in Seasons, so there was no chance of anyone getting bit. He couldn’t have asked for more than arriving safely in the Future and not having any threatsta face the moment they arrived.

        Managing to get to his feet, he got Summer to help him tie Young Jamie to his back, his tartan serving as a makeshift sling. With the boy secure so he wouldn’t fall, he managed to heft up the boy’s father as if he were carrying his bride across the threshold of their cabin again. Said bride did the same with his sister, who moaned softly as she got her head settled on her shoulder so it and her neck were supported.

        “Did we–did we…make it?” Ian managed to groan, shifting his own head.

        “Aye, brother–we made it,” the ginger man answered. “To the Future, that is.”

        “Good,” he said. “God, I feel like I’ma black out again.”

        “I’m no surprised,” Jamie chuckled, grunting as he started toward their new home. “Be glad ye’re no coming to, shackled to a bed ye dinna recognize.”

        “Oh, aye?” the brunette man laughed, now managing to wrap his arm around his neck. “And ye can put me down, brother–I can walk, now that I’ve me wits back.”

        “Nay, ’cuz the terrain’s verra nasty,” he told him. “Once we get outta the Trees, I’ll consider it.”

        “Where’s Young Jamie, though?” Ian queried.

        “Tied to me back with me tartan,” the ginger man answered, grunting again. “Dinna fash–Summer’s knots damn near willna come loose without cutting them, so he’s safe enough.”

        “If ye trust her, so do I,” he agreed, glancing over at the very woman who carried his still-unconscious pregnant wife.

        It didn’t take as long as it felt, considering the weight he carried, but Jamie was still relieved to break through the Trees and see the house come into view. Even more of a relief was when he realized the body moving toward them belonged to Ash, who was jogging in their Direction after catching sight of them.

        The Darker-toned man was only a bit breathless as he met them, but more than willing to help him with his brother-in-law. Course, said brother-in-law was a bit wary as he draped his other arm around his own shoulders so he could hold on for better stability. Granted, that wariness almost completely disappeared once he breathlessly introduced the pair of men, even though he was still reluctant to accept his help. After all, he’d gotten used to being extra careful after obtaining the peg that served as his leg these Days, and he’d always been fairly Independent.

        By the Time they actually reached the house, Jenny was starting to come to and quickly realized she was being carried. Summer gladly set her on her feet once they were on the back porch, but she and Aidan both stabilized her when she proved to be a bit wobbly. Neither of them wanted to see her get hurt, especially once said blonde gently broke the news of her pregnancy to her friends.

        “Well, congratulations,” Ash chuckled, helping her husband settle on the couch.

        “To both of ya,” his equally-ginger wife agreed.

        “Wait, ye kent Summer’s also with child?” her fellow ginger demanded, torn between outrage and surprise.