The Bros - Chapter 11 (Snatched)

Remember my grandma used to always say, "A black man ain't got nothing but his name, his word and his pride. Don't let anybody take those things from you". With that in mind, one of the proudest moments in my life was the day Nate Jr. was born.

Being raised with that saying hammered into your brain, having a son to carry on your name becomes a significant milestone in life.

Going back in time a few years to the day we were set to be honored with a prestigious award. It was a huge day in our lives. Eboni and I were both being honored with a most prestigious honor in Atlanta. We were both nominated to the Power 40 Under 40 List and today was the awards dinner.

There was excitement in the air. Can you imagine—it is hard for one person to get this honorable distinction in their lives, but here we are a husband and wife both being named for this award in the same year.

We had everybody there with us to celebrate this moment. The Bros were all there, Al, Shawn, Rickie and Trey. Eboni's line sisters were there. Outside of the day we got married, how could any day be any better?

I looked in the mirror and saw that... Damn I looked good. Custom-fitted tuxedo that hung off me as if the clothing god himself had designed this tuxedo just for me.

And then Eboni walked by and I caught her reflection in the mirror. Hot damn, did I really marry this woman? She was downright gorgeous and fine as hell. That red dress was highlighting every curve in her body and boy did those curves look good.

I turned to tell her how great she looked and noticed her face.

"Hey babe, what is wrong?"

She said, "Nothing, I probably just ate something that did not agree with me. I will be ok. Let's get out of here we are going to be late."

We arrived at the convention center and we were fashionably late. The ceremony had not started, but we were late enough to walk through the crowd and everybody could see how damn sexy this new power couple looked. I felt like we owned this town at this moment, you could not tell me a damn thing.

The Mayor of Atlanta even stopped us on the way to the table. He congratulated us and said that he was proud to have us in Atlanta. He then asked, "Do you all mind if we take a quick picture?" Can you imagine this, growing up a son of a drug addict lying on the cold ground facing death at the hands of a drug dealer's bullet, to being a person the Mayor of Atlanta, one of the most powerful Mayors in the country, asking you to take a picture with him.

We got to our table and greeted everybody. Eboni suddenly got up and rushed to the bathroom. April got up and followed her.

Eboni was in the bathroom in this thousand-dollar dress on the damn floor throwing up. April asked her, "Girl what is wrong with you?"

She told her, "Nothing, I ate some Chinese food earlier today and I don't think it is agreeing with me."

April immediately shot back, "Girl, your ass is pregnant, that ain't no Chinese food!"

Eboni just looked at her, no response. The ladies got all cleaned up, Eboni fixed her lipstick and make up and they headed back to the table just in time for the ceremony to begin.

We got home that night and when getting into the bed, I asked Eboni if she was ok. She told me she felt fine now.

"You know what April said to me Nate, she said I was pregnant, not sick." We both looked at each other, now speechless, nothing really to say. She laid her head on my chest and we fell asleep in each other's arms.

The next day, Eboni made her way to the drug store. I was sitting in bed watching the game. She walked out of the bathroom with one of those pregnancy tests in hand. She held it up with an enormous grin, and said to me, "this said we are pregnant!"