pools

I set Stanley into the sink, sobbing into the mirror. I struggled, grabbing at my sleeve and pulling it up, looking at the small tattoo on my shoulder. The tears streaming down my face didn't make me feel ugly, it was the terribly distressed expression on my face.

I really tried to play it off like I didn't miss Stanley too much, but I never got over it. There wasn't a moment I didn't think about him and what he would've done. He was like a little brother to me, and he was way too young to be gone. I wanted to throw him birthdays and buy him things, I wanted to cut his hair when it got too long, and I wanted to help him with problems he felt he couldn't go to Lila with.

The door swung open and his voice called around the corner, "(Y/N)?" He must have heard my sniffling and whimpering, or Stanley's whining in the sink, playing with the faucet, as he soon turned around the corner, looking at me looking at the tattoo.

His gaze softened, his shoulders slumped, and he covered his mouth with his hand. Five didn't know what to say, which was uncommon.

I watched him in the reflection, imagining what Stanley would've done, and fell to my knees. I sobbed, aggressively, violently into my palms, feeling it soon pool and lean onto the ceramic tiles. Almost immediately I felt large hands wrap around me, pressing my head to his chest. I couldn't stop crying, no matter what I did, and I almost thought I wouldn't catch my breath ever again.

All we heard was Sloane shrieking across the hotel, breaking out into hysterics, and you could feel the thundering stampede of a herd of Hargreeves' racing to the Buffalo Suite. As if synchronized, we took flight to get there as fast as possible, only beaten by Five, who had blinked there as soon as he could.

I couldn't see over the other Hargreeves', but everyone was stuck in place. I shoved between Allison and Viktor, both with open mouths, absolutely frozen, and soon enough, I knew why.

I almost felt numb. Maybe that's what they felt too. I felt my eye twitch slightly, looking down at Luther, cold and bloody on the floor. I looked down at him and felt my heart snapping, multiple veins and arteries bursting, thinking of the man who carried me out of the Sun after the parade, who consoled me when Five was upset with me. I thought of Elliot, I thought of Stanley and Klaus, but I really thought about the scrambled eggs that the sweet monkey man made for me.

I swallowed, glued to the floor when Viktor, Allison, and Lila fell to the floor to console Sloane. I heard a ringing in my ears, having an acute sensitivity to the sight of dead people now. Not only those who happened to get hurt as collateral damage.. but loved ones. I couldn't stop thinking about Klaus falling lifeless to the floor with a harpoon in his chest, Stanley disintegrating, Elliot dead in his dentist chair,
Or my bullet wounds.

My heart felt heavy and I couldn't hear a thing, it was as if I went deaf, as if seeing Luther—One of the only people to care about me from the beginning—dead and gone on the floor was my breaking point. I couldn't stop thinking, but I couldn't do anything else. I wanted to talk, to scream out, to cry, but all I could do was swallow and tremble, closing my eyes to hide from it.

Suddenly the spell was broken, and I could back away, covering my mouth and falling into a wall. As the rest of the siblings surrounded Luther, respectively crying and mourning, Ben stayed behind. He glanced back to me, quiet.

Maybe he knew Luther and I were especially close. After all, he kidnapped us both. Luther was inexplicably kind to me no matter what I did to fuck up. He didn't turn on me, make me feel unwanted, and he didn't deserve to die.

God, nobody did.

Reginald entered the Buffalo Suite, and his monocle dropped from his eye. "Dear God.."

A path was cleared, and he was given a direct look at his dead son.

"That is it. You have to believe me now," Reginald scoffed.

Ben had slowly turned to me, reaching his hand out for me to take. With trembling fingers, I grabbed onto him, slowly wrapping my arms around him and weeping into his sweater.

"What? Why?" Diego argued. "What the hell are you talking about, Luther is Dead!"

I gripped onto Ben tighter, without much expression on my face, just a river of tears drenching his clothes.

"Look at the cut throughout him, man!" His father argued, "Nobody here has a curved sword!"

Lila, with a trembling lower lip, looked up to Diego, "That monster did."

"Holy shit," Diego muttered.

Ben barely touched me, he just gently pat my shoulder.

"It got out?" Sloane screamed, covered in her husbands blood. Diego and Lila winced, looking back down at Luther.

"We need to deal with this now! Come on, up! Up!" Reginald demanded, pulling open the door to the other side, watching Five, Allison, and Viktor enter. Soon, Ben pulled away from me, racing down the mysterious blue hallway. Sloane pulled herself off of Luther, pressing a kiss to his head, entering the strange hallway. Diego and Lila followed, then Reginald. I made it in just before Klaus did.

As the others raced down the hallway, Reginald came to a halt.

"I'm so sorry, but we don't need you anymore."

Before the door shut, he shoved me back into Klaus. Klaus fell out of the doorway, and I hit my head on the edge of the coffee table.

The light was beautiful, an indoor pool with the most intricate windows you'd ever imagine. The water was crystal clear, a delicious shade of blue, and it never ended. Who would've imagined a pool thousands of feet in the sky, swimming beside clouds, without anyone else around? It was heaven, floating around weightlessly, swimming to the edge of the pool, looking out the window to the endless sky outside.