Pumpkins, Pumpkins

Alaina remembered the summer she'd spent at her aunt's cottage on the other side of the river – two full days' journey from home. It was the summer Candia was accepted into the Trida Academy. When her cousin, Valare, realized that even her own pathetic magic was better than Alaina's, she'd wasted no time in forcing Alaina to do all the household chores. If Alaina didn't want to find herself caught in a windstorm or buried under a pile of dirt, she'd have to put up with Valare for the summer. So she'd done the sweeping, cleaning, cooking. She even found herself doing laundry. And all the while Valare would lounge in the sun, demanding Alaina hurry up.

One morning, Valare woke Alaina just as the sun was peaking over the hilltops.

"Get up!" Valare snapped. Alaina opened her eyes and was immediately hit with something in the face. It took her a minute to realize that it was a bunch of dirty linens.

"What?" Alaina asked, exhausted. Couldn't her cousin ever leave her alone?

"You have laundry to do today." Valare said.

"No, you have laundry to do today." Alaina retorted.

"And you do my chores, remember? So, no. It's you who has laundry." Valare raised her palm to the ceiling, and a silver light glowed at her fingertips. A breeze started lightly blowing, first rustling Valare's hair and then expanding out until the curtains behind Alaina were billowing.

"Fine." Alaina sighed. At least if she got done soon enough, she could probably have a few hours to herself.

Wearily, Alaina picked up the clothes Valare had thrown at her and put them with the rest of the overflowing wicker basket. She trudged down to the stream, regretting her decision not to travel with the rest of her family to Trida Academy.

Of course, nothing Alaina was tasked with washing was hers. Most of the basket was filled with Valare's clothes, but there were a few blouses and skirts that belonged to her aunt. And of course, her aunt's favorite shawl was at the bottom.

Alaina bent down, reaching into the basket and feeling the smooth silk fabric. After this, she'd be done. Then she could go back to her aunt's, hang the clothes, and sneak off for a bit before making dinner.

Alaina was exhausted from getting up so early, and from working herself to the bone almost every single day. So maybe she just wasn't paying as much attention as she should have. Or maybe it was something else. She was pretty sure she saw the swirl of silver in the air and heard laughter on the breeze. The next thing she knew, the wind had ripped that shawl from her. Alaina watched in horror as it fell into the river and was whisked away.

Alaina ran along the bank, not bothering with the rest of her laundry. There was no way she could go back to her aunt's house without that shawl. And if she was fast enough, she could still hang everything up before it dried. If not, she guessed she'd have to add ironing to her list of chores for tomorrow.

Finally, the river came to an end, next to a small thatched-roof cottage. Outside was an elderly lady working in her garden.

"Excuse me." Alaina said slowly. "Did you see a red shawl in the river?"

"Oh, yes." the woman replied. Then pointing to the river's end, she said, "It floated right by my house and got caught on those rocks down there."

"Oh..." Alaina said. "It's my aunt's favorite scarf. I can't go home without it."

Normally, Alaina wouldn't have worried, but her aunt would be furious. And it was no good blaming Valare. Even if her aunt did believe her, Valare would make her life miserable as soon as her aunt's back was turned.

"I can give it back to you." the woman said. "But first, I need some help around the house."

Alaina agreed to help the old woman. She spent the next few hours cooking, cleaning, and pulling weeds in the garden. At least the work was easy, especially since she'd had so much experience doing Valare's chores. Finally, the drudgery was done. The old woman retrieved the shawl and handed it to Alaina.

"Here you are, dear." she said. "And I'd like to give you a gift for helping me today."

On the table were two pumpkins – one small and one large. Not being greedy, Alaina picked the small one. Besides, she was going to have to walk all the way back with it and retrieve the laundry basket. When she made it home, her cousin was furious that she'd been out so long.

"You took all day!" she snapped. "Mother wanted the clothes washed before lunch – which I had to make thanks to you!"

Alaina opened her mouth to say that maybe if Valare had actually done the laundry herself it wouldn't have happened. But she didn't get the chance. Valare was staring at the top of the laundry basket.

"Is that a pumpkin?" she asked. And without waiting for an answer, she picked it up and threw it petulantly onto the ground. It split open, revealing gems, pearls, gold coins, and a strange wooden box with stars carved into its lid. "Where did you get this?"

So, Alaina told her all about the woman at the end of the river. And less than two days later, Valare was already scheming. At least she was smart enough to use a different article of clothing for her little escapade. And that night, Alaina heard her coming home, complaining the whole time about how far the walk was and how she shouldn't have to make such a long trip. She looked out the window and saw that Valare was struggling under the weight of a huge pumpkin.

Valare barely made it to the garden before she was overcome with curiosity. She opened her pumpkin and screamed. Inside was a python. It bit Valare before slithering away under some bushes. Alaina smiled to herself; it served her cousin right.