The Land of Dragons

Alaina, Cole, and their new companion threaded their way through the city. It was hard to believe this golden-haired boy walking beside her was really a dragon. But apparently, dragons were remarkable at disguises – when they weren't cursed, that is.

"So, what's your name?" Alaina asked, to pass the time as they wound through the city. Besides, conversation could only help her attempts to ignore the claustrophobic buildings pressing in on her.

"You may call me Liang." the boy said.

"Liang." Alaina said to herself. "So where are we going, Liang?"

"Do you know what today is?" he asked.

"I don't." Alaina admitted. She'd traveled so far from home and for so long that she'd lost all sense of time.

"Today happens to be the Dragon Boat Festival. And if we hurry, we'll be just in time for the races."

They left the city, Alaina wondering what this festival would look like. They walked through lush green fields towards a river snaking through the valley below. In the distance, Alaina could see a small village.

They walked through the main street, and Alaina couldn't help but think how similar this village was to her own. The houses were only one or two stories, not like the suffocating city. Children  ran in the street, barefoot and laughing, eating what looked like little triangle pastries.

"Would you like one?" Liang asked, seeing her face.

"What are they?" Alaina asked. But Liang had already turned to the nearest vendor. He came back with three small bundles of leaves, each tied with string. He handed one to her and one to Cole.

Alaina unwrapped the leaves and found one of the little triangular pastries. She bit into it. Sticky rice with a not-quite-sugary paste in the center. It was divine.

"Zongzi. Sticky rice dumplings." Liang explained. "They're traditional for the Dragon Boat Festival."

"Speaking of the dragon boats..." Cole cut in.

"Yes, the races will be held at sunset." Liang nodded. Then grinning mischievously he asked, "Would you two like to race?"

"Can we?" Alaina asked. Then, her excitement dampened. "I don't know how to row."

"You won't have to worry about that here." Liang told her. "Another Zongzi?"

"Please." Alaina nodded. She'd never had anything like it, and she couldn't remember the last time she'd eaten.

Liang came back with two more dumplings. He handed one to her and one to Cole.

"None for you?" she asked, surprised.

"Maybe after the race."

"So how do dragon boat races work?" Alaina asked. She'd seen several long, thin boats in the water, each painted with brightly-colored scales of various hues. But each looked like it held over a dozen people. Surely, the teams had already been picked. Was there really space for two more?

"Let me guess – they race their boats down the length of the river." Cole said. It wasn't really a question.

"In other cities, perhaps." Liang told them. "But here, we do things a little...differently."

Liang walked towards the river. But instead of looking down at the boats launching, he stared up into the sky.

"Do you know why I was cursed?" he asked.

Alaina didn't say anything. They both knew she had no idea; she'd only just met him. When she didn't say anything, he continued.

"Syaoran didn't want me to compete this year. He's determined to finally win. And if that means eliminating his competition..."

"He cursed you because of a race?" That seemed a little drastic. What kind of race was it? And how could cursing one person possibly affect the outcome?

"I'm fairly certain he would have released me after it was over." Liang said, but Alaina could hear his doubts.

"So you're still going to race?"

"I cannot let him win by cheating." Liang told her. "And as the ones who freed me and brought me home, I would be honored if you would ride with me. There's nothing like it, I promise."

"We'd be more than happy." Cole said with a gleam in his eye.

"Well, you seem unusually excited." It wasn't that Alaina wasn't intrigued at the idea of racing down the river. It was just that Cole seemed so enthusiastic.

"This...Syaoran won't like it." Cole replied. "And I do love causing a little chaos."

Alaina stared at him. What did that mean? But when he didn't answer, she turned back to Liang. "Alright. What do we have to do?"

"Just hold on." Liang told her.

"Really?" Alaina asked. Somehow, that was even less helpful than Cole's answer.

The three walked to the edge of the water, brushing past the growing crowds. Alaina expected to see the boats starting to come in, to get ready for the race. Instead, they all seemed to be spreading out, some actually going farther away.

Alaina turned, ready to ask Liang what was happening. That's when she noticed he'd transformed. Instead of a lanky blond boy, she was standing next to a tall, and very long golden dragon.

"We do the races a little differently here." Liang told her again, smiling. "Climb on my back."

Alaina looked around and saw that the rest of the starting area was filling up with dragons, each with their own small group of riders. That's when it occurred to her – it wasn't a race of dragon boats. It was a dragon race. The boats were there as spectators.

Alaina climbed onto the dragon's back, leaning forward and gripping his sides as best she could. Cole got on behind her.

There was a loud bang, and the race started. Liang took off, hurling himself into the sky. Alaina hunched down, chin resting lightly on the dragon's scales. Cole gave a start and quickly grabbed onto her. Alaina just grinned.

As Liang snaked his way through the air, Alaina had a clear view of the aquamarine river ahead and the emerald hills at their sides. The wind whipped through her hair, and she could hear the cheers of the people waving from their brightly-colored boats. Liang dipped down, skimming the water and spraying her and Cole before riding high up in the air. Alaina laughed as she realized he was right – there really was nothing quite like this.