Silk Fabric

Elvira

I was in a daze while walking back to the servant's quarters, and didn't realize when I had arrived in front of the small rundown wooden door.

The door was so old that it made a loud squeak whenever someone touched it. I pushed open the door slowly and walked in, trying to reduce the noise as best as I could. It was pitch black, but I still knew where my tiny bed was, so I didn't need a lantern to get to it. 

For as long as I could remember, my bed had always been on the very far corner of this average-sized room. All the other servants would rather not sleep next to the monster at night, because who knows if they'll ever make it to the next morning. Their words, not mine.

As I was creeping onto the tiny foam we used as a bed, I felt the presence of someone behind me. Turning my head to get a look at who it was, I was immediately grabbed by the shoulder.

"Elvira where have you been?!" a loud voice said.

Oh my goodness, Mira! I should have known.

"Mira shush, lower your voice," I said groaning.

"Excuse you," she gasped, feigning shock. "Don't tell me to lower my voice especially since I've been patiently waiting for you right here, hoping you didn't get tossed into the dungeon after I heard what happened."

"I'm sorry, I just got caught in something," I waved my hand in the air, as I settled into the foam. "Although that something may end up having me decapitated by tomorrow," I muttered the last part, hoping she didn't hear me.

But to my dismay, she heard me clearly.

"You what?!" she shrieked in surprise.

"Ugh, Shut the hell up," A servant yelled from the other side of the room.

Mira recoiled into herself, "Sorry."

I pointlessly rolled my eyes, knowing full well they couldn't see me through the dark.

In this entire castle, Mira was the only one who would talk to me and care about me. At first, she was just like the others, skeptical and distancing themselves from me. Sometimes I would catch her stealing glances at me like she was studying me, and when she noticed I was staring back, she would scurry off in a hurry.

We only became close after she had caught me practicing archery in the fields. I remember being scared to the bones thinking she was going to report me. But to my surprise, she ran up to me with twinkles in her eyes.

"Oh my goddess how did you make three straight bullseyes in a row. " she had said with amazement.

Her approach had honestly startled me, I wasn't used to someone praising my skills or being so friendly towards me. We had stayed up that night, talking and laughing.

I had pleaded with Mira not to tell anyone what she had seen and she readily agreed, leaving me with a secret of her own.

Apparently, she was a werefox. She wouldn't tell me how she ended up in Elysia, but according to her, she's been stuck here.

The news honestly took me by surprise. I was looking and talking to an actual werefox.

With my curiosity taking over, I prompted her to show me her transformation. However, to my disappointment, she couldn't transform. She said her fox had been extremely weakened due to an incident, so she was unable to call upon her. She could only do things like elongate her claws and grow her canine out a bit.

Instead, she gave me something else to satisfy my curiosity. She told me what it was like being a werefox, having mates, and then some.

"Elvira! Are you even listening to me?!" Mira whisper-yelled, snapping me back to the present.