chapter five - the bonding.

╔═══════════════╗
chapter five.
╚═══════════════╝

⋅⋆⋅✿⋅⋆⋅

EILEEN TRIED DESPERATELY to avoid Jess' line of interrogation for the rest of the night. She kept her head down, her headphones blasting The Cranberries in her ears, as she gathered all of the supplies she'd need for her first day back at school. She organized her bright highlighters and pens in her green, patch-adorned tote bag, remembering to bring along her current read, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

"So...," Jess began as he pulled her black headphones down, "...you're not going to tell me about your little date?"

Eileen looked up at her cousin with an annoyed glare. "There's nothing to tell. It's none of your business."

"You're my only cousin and the only girl in this family. You're basically my little sister. It is my business."

The brunette rolled her eyes, moving towards the kitchen to pack her school lunch. She pulled out a floral lunch bag and began to chop up some fresh carrots and strawberries. "That's a little sexist."

Jess, stealing one of her berries and popping it into his mouth (which earned another eye roll from the girl that had been preparing them), jumped up to sit the counter. "Whatever. Did you have a good time, at least?"

"As a matter of fact, I did. I had a great time. We get along really, really well," Eileen replied with a soft smile, reminiscing on her day in the sun.

Although he would never show it, Eileen's happiness in recalling the day's events truly warmed her cousin's heart. On the inside he was smiling back at her, but it only physically came across as a smug smirk.

"Oh, and also, he's walking with us to school tomorrow."

Jess' eyebrows shot up. "Oh?"

"Yup. He's meeting us here in the morning."

The older boy smirked, entertained at the idea. "Perfect. That gives me precisely..." He checked his watch jokingly. "...11 minutes and 32 seconds to chat up my new buddy."

Eileen glared at him, putting the final touches on her lunch and placing it into the fridge. "Ha. Ha. If by 'chatting up' you mean the same kind of interrogation happening right now, then there will be none of that."

Jess hopped off the counter and teasingly ruffled Eileen's already messy hair. "We'll see about that, cuz."

"I'm sure we will, cuz."