chapter thirteen

BERLIN, GERMANY; The next morning, the sunshine dripping through her hotel window slowly woke Emma up. She groaned awake, looking over at the clock on her bedside table.

"CRAP!"

The attached door to Peter's room quickly opened and Emma Stark ran in, her body draped in a white robe. She hurriedly ran over to Peter's bed, the boy still sleeping soundly. "Peter, Peter, wake up," she murmured, giving him a hard push, "Peter!" And he jerked awake.

"What?" he muttered, sitting up in the bed, rubbing his eyes.

"We slept in," she said, "It's ten am. You're supposed to be meeting my dad at 10:30."

"Crap!" Peter loudly said, leaping out of the bed.

The girl watched as he ran over to his suitcase, rummaging through it to get his onesie. The girl eyed him oddly before asking, "What are you doing?"

He looked over at her, as if it was obvious. "I'm getting my suit," he said.

Emma widened her eyes before quickly running off to her room and coming back a few seconds later, holding a black case. He gazed at her confused as she set down the case on his bed.

"Happy birthday."

"My birthday is in August—"

"Just open the case."

When he did, an updated Spider-Man suit laid folded in the case and Peter's eyes filled up in shock. He gazed at it for a moment before quickly turning back to Emma. "Is that—"

"Yep."

"And it's—"

"Yep."

"Oh, my God!" he cheered and Emma smiled at his excitement.

She went off to her room to give him some privacy and so she could go to the bathroom. But when she came back, Emma was stunned for words. The new suit was very well fitting around Peter's body and he just looked — like a hero. The majority of it was red, with blue at the bottom, but red again around his legs. And then there were black lines over the suit, indicating spider webs. And then in the middle, was a little embedded black spider.

Emma gulped, forcing herself to stop staring as he ripped the mask off his face. He stared at her nervously, breathing heavily as he watched her, waiting for her to say something. Anything.

"You look..." she muttered, meeting his eyes for a moment but blinked away, "You look great."

"You think?" Peter asked with a smile and she nodded. She then sighed, looking away from him and onto her phone.

"You need to go," she said before strutting towards the room door, him following after her.

She opened it and he slipped out, standing in the hallway, while she stood at the door. "Put your mask on," she whispered.

"Oh, right," Peter murmured, beginning to put the mask over his head. But stopped himself. He quickly stepped over to her, racking up enough courage to place a quick kiss to her cheek. He watched a smile lit up over her before pulling the rest of his mask on and running off down the hall.

Emma slowly closed the hotel door, leaning against the door as she placed her fingers over her cheek. There was no point in denying it anymore, no matter how hard she was trying to fight it. Emma Stark had feelings for her best friend...

Which was another reason why she had to do this. She had to protect him. She knew who he was up against. They would beat him to a pulp. She had to do what she needed to — all for Peter.