Chapter 1

As Lizzie stepped onto the train with her overstuffed baggage, a sudden wave of excitement and anticipation overcame her. It was always a dream for her to become a nurse and help those all around her, but this was huge! She would be working alongside the armed forces, a total adventure waiting to happen.

Well, that adventure decided to happen early, since her about-to-burst baggage quite literally burst open just as Lizzie got to her seat.

"Oh, how lovely," she muttered to herself as she gathered the garments all around her. Lizzie was very aware of the people surrounding her staring as she picked up some rather embarrassing pieces of clothing, and to top it all off, they weren't even helping! They just sat there, letting a poor, embarrassed girl awkwardly scramble for all of her belongings.

Then, as if angels sent from heaven came down upon the flustered girl, a few young women got out of their seats and bent down to help pick up the remainder of Lizzie's clothes.

"It's so awfully nice to have all of these people help," said one of the women, her voice filled with noticeable sarcasm as she pushed up her glasses to side-eye the other passengers (especially the "gentlemen").

The rest of the women all helped Lizzie put everything back into her bag, neatly this time. After that, they invited her to sit with them at their seats.

"Thank you so so much, I would've probably asked to turn the train around to drop me off back home," Lizzie chuckled gratefully as she thanked the others.

"Why honey, of course! Us women must always have each others backs. I'm Betty, by the way," winked the blonde-haired maiden with a charming smile.

Lizzie was then introduced to the others. Martha, Sandra, Barbara, Betty, and Evelyn were actually nurses going the same route as her. They all quickly became friends as they chattered and laughed all the way to their destination, making the train ride feel much shorter and less uneasy as they set off to this new chapter that would change all of their lives forever.