Charzard

Mari p.o.v.

>>>>>>>Time skip 1 week later<<<<<<<

When Jack said I was off the case, he surely meant it. But Beverly has been keeping me updated, so it's not too bad. I told Duncan that I wanted some alone time away from the boys, so he's taken them far out in the county to see the stars.

Marcus found out I was gonna be drinking alone, so he invited himself to keep me company. He just went to the restroom. So here I sit at a bar surrounded by loud music and slightly drunk people.

I'm texting Duncan. as someone sits in the seat across from me, thinking it's so drunk guy trying to shoot his shot. I don't bother to look up from my phone. I only look up when they clear their throat, and right then and there to whole world stops as I look my childhood friend in their eyes. I know those eyes, but they are no longer filled with light but a deep, painful darkness

Charles, is that you?"

"Yep, it's me."  I reach out and grab his hand,  and I regret it instantly.

I have a vision of him killing each one of the victims from the case Jack just kicked me off of. I yank my hands away and reach for my gun

"Please don't pull out your gun. You know I have a gun on me too, and a shootout with two highly skilled killers is a no-go for bystanders. You know what happens next, don't you, Marionette." 

At that moment, I had another vision of all the possible outcomes, and none of them ended well. But the constant in each scenario was that we both survived, but some of the patrons and the police officers sitting at the bar did not.

"I've seen every possible outcome of this interaction, Mari. I wouldn't be here if I knew I was going to die. By anyone's hands but yours." He smirks

I lean back in my chair. "Then why are you here? To taunt me?"

"Awe, is that how you talk to an old friend? We haven't seen each other since we were kids. There was no Hello. How are you? I hope you are doing well." He teased as if he wasn't a killer. I was hunting a week ago. I say nothing.

"I don't enjoy the work I do, Mari. It's not a fetish. It's about allowing those who are already dying... to die with some dignity. Sometimes, the greatest acts of love are the hardest acts to commit"

"But who gave you the right to play God."

"I have no interest in playing God. As far as his work is concerned, I'm not impressed." He shrugs, looking around the room as if someone will agree with him

"Sounds like someone has a God complex." I chirped jokingly

"Don't psychoanalyze me." He growls out.

I sit back in my chair. " So am I supposed to let you go and do as you please until you are ready for me to kill you, Charizard?"

" HA-HA, that nickname was never clever, Mars,"

"I'm going to leave, and you are going to follow. You are also going to call Jack while you follow me. You'll give him my name and tell him that you are following me, which he'll tell you not to since you are off the case."

He gets up and runs out the door, and I run after him. I lose him as he dips off somewhere I didn't see. So, I use my ability to see every possible outcome. There are 20, so I have to work quickly. I see one of the possibilities head toward the train, and so I call Jack

He answers on the 3rd ring. "Wha..." I cut him off. "We have no time for a petty disagreement. The killer is someone I know he is a childhood friend of mine, and his name is Charles Ambrose. I am following him right now, and I need backup. He is heading towards the subway station. He's going Penn-North
Metro  towards Owings Mills ." My speed walk becomes a run. Damn he's quick

Jack is still on the phone, barking orders. "Marionette, stop where you are and go home. We've got it from here. This is no longer your case. Do not keep following him."

Charles was right. I then have a vision of what will happen if I don't go. Charles gets away and kills 8 more people. I have to stop him. So I hung up the phone and ran faster.

I call Duncan and tell him everything. He and the boys met my brother at the bar when he came back and found me missing. He's on his way to help me, but I tell him to stay away. I know he won't listen, so I have to be quick.

I get to the subway station just as Charles ducks around the corner and runs into a crowded subway car. I run up behind him and shoot my gun. Everyone pours out of the train, running for their lives.

We stare at each other a good six feet away. My gun pointed at him. His body language is open and accepting. His gun is pointed downward

"We're connected. The same animal, Marionette." I shake my head. "No, no. I only kill when it's necessary. I have never spilled an innocent person's blood."

he smiles a cold, dead smile. "Well, it will be necessary in few minutes." For a moment, I'm confused."Few minutes? What's gonna happen then."

"That's when you'll kill me. Duncan is going to walk through that door, and you are gonna have to make a choice. Like I said, someone is going to die today it's me or him."

As soon as he finishes those words, he points his gun at the door, and Duncan comes through the door, clutching his gun and breathing hard as if he had been running. And Charles shoots him in the head.

I don't scream as my vision finishes with the death of my husband and so I make a quick decision and shoot Charles just as he is about to point his gun and shoot Duncan as he was coming in the door.

Duncan looks at me in shock as I stand over Charles' dead body. I turn away from him so he can't see me cry.

He takes my gun from my shaking hands. "Why did you kill him, Mari?"

I look at him over my shoulder, tears streaming down my face. "You would have died."

We hear sirens in the distance and step off the train to meet Jack and his herd of adult children to show up.

When Jack sees that Charles is dead, he fixes me with a look. "Why did you kill him? We needed him alive!" He yells. Will this man ever learn not to yell at me.

"He would have gotten away and killed 8 more people, and that would have made it 25 victims."

Jack may be an asshole but he knows if I had a choice, I would have taken Charles in.

--------------
Sorry it's so short. School has been kicking my ass