5 - When Hearts Depart

Pt. 1

Usagi:

Once Usagi went through Leo's portal, it was quick to disappear behind him. And almost as quickly as it disappeared, the sickness that came with it violently washed over him, sending him spiraling to the ground. It was like he had been spun around multiple times, minus the build up of dizziness and nausea. It definitely wasn't as bad as the first time, but it still had him surrendered to an awful headache.

After stumbling to his hidden steam cycle, he climbs on slowly and lays his head down on the handles to recover. He really hoped it wouldn't be like this every time he went through one of Leo's portals. He wanted to keep going through them forever and ever. They were so cool and being able to go through them meant being able to be with Leo. That's something he'd never give up, no matter how bad the consequences.

After a while of resting, he recovered and was ready to head back to where he and his friends have been staying for the past couple months. He starts his bike and rides through the secluded pathway he takes to get from the country part of New York to the city part and vice versa.

The ride back was a bit long, but with all the thoughts running through Usagi's mind, it felt shorter than normal. His ride gets bumpy when the steam cycle collides with the dirt path leading into the woods outside the city. It reminded him of riding from Neo Edo to his Aunties farm. Looking up and seeing the trees shading the path also brought a familiar warmth from back home. He hoped everyone was doing okay.

It had been two weeks since Usagi had left Neo Edo. Two weeks since the Ki-stone gave him a vision of the alien invasion that happened almost a year ago in a modern bustle named New York City. That invasion happened around the same time as their own alien invasion. Usagi thought it was a strange coincidence, but according to the Ki-Stone, it was to be looked into further. Usagi was not one to turn down an adventure, so he agreed to travel there and see if he could find any connections. Once he had gathered a few of his friends, they headed out to New York City, with little to no knowledge on what to look for or even where to start. The Ki-Stone was very vague, but that didn't stop them from trying to find the answers they needed.

The leaves of New York's trees burned with the orangey fire of the sun near the horizon when he finally arrived at their small cabin-like shelter. He's glad they all agreed to pick a spot outside of the city to build their temporary home. It was perfect. They were also incredibly lucky to have some small yokai-like thing named Todd help them build their home as well as assist them in settling in comfortably. He is pretty strong for such a tiny guy, and the thing he calls lemonade is incredible!

Usagi pushes the front door of the tiny shelter open and yawns. He tries to make a beeline for his room but a strange sight inevitably draws his attention elsewhere. His eyes might be a tad blurry from the sleep attempting to take over, but he didn't need 20/20 vision to see the chaos going down in the common area.

His friend Gen was standing in the middle of the room with tons of miscellaneous items stacked on his fake horn. Both of his arms were out in a t-pose for balance as he rocked back and forth with the swaying tower. Close to the balancing rhino was Kitsune who was grinning and holding her paws out in front of Gen as if it would help him keep balance. Chizu, on the other hand, was standing far away from the two, a paw over her mouth to keep down her laughs. Accompanying the three was a flash of green that bounced into view every now and then. It was Spot yipping in unfeining support of Gen, and his wobbly tower of items.

It wasn't the weirdest thing he's walked into, but it did pique his interest. What in the world were they doing? Usagi wanted to ask, but did he really? Yeah. He did.