Down (Lyrical One-Shot)

I don't know where I'm at
I'm standing out the back
And I'm tired of waiting

The Underworld had gotten old to Nico. He would never admit it, but he couldn't leave. It's not that he didn't want to, or that anyone was holding him back... He just couldn't go back home to Camp Half-Blood. Go somewhere he wasn't loved, just to leave the place he'd last been loved by his sister before she chose rebirth. He had an attachment to this place that he couldn't shake, despite how depressing and full of spirits and emotion it was.

Waiting here in line
Hoping that I'll find
What I've been chasing

He didn't know what it was like to die. At least, his body didn't. But in his mind, he'd been dead for a while now. In his mind, his life was just as hopeless at change or progression as the ghosts of those waiting for judgment. Nico would often walk with them, talk with them and hear their life stories or listen to their fears or hopes as they walked up to the table of their judgment. Some of them thought they were meeting with angels, others Anubis, and very saw the underworld for the Greek hell it really was. But nonetheless, none of the work or feelings brought his sister back... or made him feel like he mattered to anyone else at all.

I shot for the sky
I'm stuck on the ground
So why do I try?
I know I'm gonna fall down
I thought I could fly
So why did I drown?
You never know why
It's coming down, down, down

He felt selfish and embarrassed to admit it, but it was really never about him, was it? His sister left him and sacrificed herself so that she would feel the joy of bringing Nico back a stupid toy. Not because Nico needed his sister, no... for a toy. His dad didn't want Nico to survive, he placed him in that casino so Hades could be glorified at his child fulfilling some dumb prophecy. Even these ghosts never asked how Nico was doing, just shared what they were thinking about their oncoming judgment. It was never about Nico... Nico was more invisible than a ghost, he was non-existent to most people. At least, in their hearts. He had no idea how to fix that, so here he was, wandering.

Oh, I am coming down, down, down
I can't find another way around
And I don't wanna hear the sound
Of losing what I've never found

But he decided he can't just go on like this. Walking around with no purpose, he might as well be a spirit in the Fields of Asphodel. He'd never find Bianca. He'd never find a family again. He'd never discover his purpose, he was sure of it. Slowly, he walked to the River Lethe. He wondered what would happen if he dipped his toes in. He imagined himself relieved of all that pains him in this life, if he only just submerged himself and stopped swimming.