𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒: a visit with death HERself

"Oh boy." A sarcastic voice echoed into his brain. "Another one to judge. Isn't that fantastic?"

Keefe opened his eyes and found himself in a dark space. It was just blackness, as far as he could see. Above, gray and black clouds seemed to gather, preparing themselves for a storm. Despite the darkness around him, he could see normally. The place was dimly lit and warm. It smelt like the forest and honey. He almost wanted to fall asleep. Then Keefe saw someone and almost jumped out of his skin.

Sitting in front of him was a girl who couldn't be older than eight. She was dressed in all black, with hair that looked disturbingly like Moexii's. She had these eyes, dark and ominous, that seemed to dare him to contradict her, to see what would happen.

Keefe's fuzzy vision struggled to maintain details, but he did see a black t-shirt and jeans, with dark combat boots and a large black army jacket. There were words, but he couldn't read them.

"Ugh, another one?" The girl said, the voice too mature and bitter for her age. "Would it kill you to die when you're healthy?"

Keefe struggled to sit up as the girl watched, slightly amused. Finally, she smirked at him and said, "Would you like a hand?"

"Uhm, yes." Keefe said.

Was that his voice? Why did he sound like a toddler who smoked six packs a day? Ugh.

The girl's hand reached out and pulled him up. Only after his head stopped spinning did he realize it wasn't the girl's hand he had grabbed. Instead it was a severed, pale hand that still had nerves peeking out from its skin.

Keefe shrieked and lunged back. The girl howled with laughter, rolling off the rock she had been perched on, still giggling wildly.

After she had stopped laughing, she said, "Oh my gosh, that was hilarious. Your face!"

Her humor reminded him of Moexii's, which made his stomach lurch. Her face flashed through his mind, and food threatened to come up.

"DO NOT VOMIT!" The girl ordered, and suddenly his stomach dropped back into place.

"W-who are you?" He asked finally.

"Me? I'm Death." The girl said calmly.

"What?" Keefe asked, more than a little shocked. "But you're supposed to be a boy."

"So I've heard." The girl said, rolling her eyes. "Do you know how obnoxious it is to hear that I'm supposed to be a boy, tens of hundreds of times a day? Everybody is so convinced that Death is some old wrinkly man, but let me assure you, I am not. So much for the new society-" (the sarcasm was heaped on in that statement) "that makes everyone equal."

Keefe bit his lip. 

"Ugh, but you're not supposed to be here. No, it isn't your time yet. Unfortunately. I'd love to claim your obnoxious, sexist soul. But rules are rules." The girl said, eyes focused on a clipboard that had appeared out of nowhere.

"What?" Keefe asked, thoroughly and completely confused.

"Goodbye, Keefe Sencen." The girl said, looking annoyed. "I'll see you soon." Then she snapped, and the world dissolved.