17. I Know The End

Astrid

THE quiet hum of distant music floating through the air from the country club mashing with the calming sound of the waves crashing against the shore was the only thing I could hear as I sat on the empty beach.

Two weeks had passed since the kegger incident, Rafe keeping his promise and showing up to the club nearly every time I was working, either with a bouquet of flowers, leaving me extra large tips or just sitting at the bar and keeping me company while I worked, then always offered me a lift home saving me the hassle.

However the last time I worked was Monday. It was now Saturday.

I planned on taking a week off too hang with the pouges, however my boss contacted me and informed me about an event they were holding, an engagement party of some kooks.

I had seen Sarah earlier and she filled me in it was one of her cousins she only sees like once in a blue moon- however they grew up on the island and wanted to celebrate their engagement here.

My boss knows I strangely like working at events like these, I've worked at midsummers, birthdays, weddings- hell even funerals.

Hence why he called me in to work today.

It's just more fun than the typical rude golfers or snobby teenagers you get usually at the club.

It gives me a sense of family- as family's are always forced to come to things like those. I simply like to observe from the sidelines and watch with a smile at the things I never got to experience.

Also it's a paid night of music, drunk grandparents talking to you and getting free drinks and lots of tips at the end of it.

I now sat on my first break of the night, sitting on the isolated beach at the end of the club, enjoying a cigarette and pina collada I had made myself in a plastic cup.

The sun had just set, leaving a pinkish-purple lining across the sky as the familiar shine of various stars began appearing across it.

I was alone- but not. I was a safe distance away from the bustle of people to enjoy the peacefulness and privacy of the empty beach, however I could still hear the murmur of excited children, drunken laughs and the band playing.

After finishing my cigarette and drink I brushed the sand off my ass and made my way back into the club, curtly nodding at the security who saluted me back, clearly anticipating his break.

Once outside where everyone had migrated due to the humid air, I plastered back on my polite customer service smile as two kids ran up to me nervously blurting out that they would like two apple juices' to their table.

I agreed and ushered them back lightly as I walked inside, which was practically empty besides staff and guests walking back and forth to the bathroom.

I bumped into Sarah here earlier who informed me that her brother would be in big trouble when he arrived as he was clearly very late.

Of course due to Sarah's lack of knowledge on what was going on between me and Rafe, she was only telling me out of pure gossip.

There was practically no one else here our age so I slightly pitied her when I saw her being placed at a table full of what I assumed to be her younger cousins at the start of the night.

After making the requested drinks I ventured back outside, to where Sarah more contently sat at a table with Ward, Rose, two other parents their age, and Rafe.

He was wearing a grey suit, his curtains hanging across his forehead nearly as he shrugged his jacket off and hung it over the back of his chair.

Due to the warm summer air despite the late timing, he rolled the sleeves of his shirt up to his elbows before conversing with his father and the other older man.