Epilogue 10 Years Later

"Mama, Louisa pulled my hair," Aadan cried. I laughed and watched Aadan and his little sister Louisa play on the parlor floor of our home. Athena was sleeping in the cradle beside the couch as I sewed a new set of stockings for Louisa. I set the sewing down and walked over to kneel in front of them. Aadan was ten, and already looked exactly like his father, with the same olive tone skin and dark eyes. He would certainly break some hearts when he was older. Louisa took after her grandmother, with her black curls and bright green eyes. Louisa was only seven. And with each passing day she grew more beautiful.

"Louisa, you must be nice to your brother. And Aadan if you did not steal your sister's dolls she would not pull your hair," I said sternly. Both looked up at me with innocent eyes. Making me chuckle even more.

"Yes mama," they both said in unison. Athena began to cry, and I knew that she was hungry. Picking her up, I met her blue eyes. I undid my corset and she latched immediately.Greedily sucking every last drop of milk. She was a strong healthy girl.

Soon after we rescued Bash and Aadan. We all decided that St. Bona's was not going to be safe for any of us. That allies of my father would try to find those who murdered the governor of Jamaica. And so we decided to head north toward the American colonies. To make a new life for ourselves. We settled just outside Charleston, South Carolina. Bash and Aadan founded a tobacco plantation. Aadan and Mae lived in the big house with Bash and I. Their children are growing up beside ours. We made it a point to purchase slaves and then set them free, giving them, a choice to either work on the land or travel north. They worked on the farm for housing and could plant gardens on their own lands. But they were free, if they decided to move farther north, we would give them some money and wish them luck. We have become successful in the last few years. Bash was a good husband and a good father. We had Aadan not long after returning to St. Bona's. We named him after Bash's first mate. It was another three years before we had Louisa. We had another miscarraige before Athena. Our first child, little Sebastian, had been reburied in the cemetery next to the big house along with the little boy we named Louis. Athena was a surprise to us all, but a true blessing. 

Often Bash and Aadan would sail to England or the Caribbean to sell the tobacco themselves. They never truly could give up the sea. Mae had two more children after Apollo. One was named Slyvia who was the same age as Louisa. And another little boy named Ali after our dear friend. Ali settled in Morocco and remarried. He often would write to us about his life there. He had become respectable and was deeply in love with his second wife. 

"Freya," Bash said. I looked up and saw him coming through the open doors. It was late spring. And the air was heavenly. He had his sleeves rolled up, no doubt he had been helping one of the main field hands in the fields. When he saw the children and I. He smiled and came over. He sat down and kissed my forehead.

"What is it, Bash," I asked. He cupped Athena's little head. Both Aadan and Louisa ran up to him. He pulled Louisa onto his lap and ruffled Aadan's curly hair.

"It is such a beautiful day, I thought a picnic would be a fitting thing," he said. I felt my heart jump. I finished feeding Athena and placed her back in her cradle. Mae and I opened all the windows to allow the air into the home. It had been a wet winter and we all need some sunshine.

"I will prepare the picnic," I said. He stood up and took my hands. I gave him a raised eyebrow. I could tell he was hiding something.

"The picnic is all set, all we need to do is go to the backyard," he said. I nodded and picked up Athena. Bash took the two older children and we made our way toward the backyard. As we did, I felt my eyes water. There in the backyard was Aunt Delphine. We had written for years, but after my uncle had grown ill. She never could sail. She wished to remain by his side. She found it in her heart to forgive him, for what he did to me all those years ago.

"Surprise mi amor," he whispered. I ran over and she pulled me into her arms. We cried as we embraced one another.I had missed my aunt so much over the years. When we settled at the plantation, I wrote to her. Telling her everything that had happened.

"Oh Freya, you are so grown up," she whispered. Cupping my cheeks. She looked down and saw Athena. Who looked up at us.

"Who is the darling little girl," she asked. I handed Athena over and Aunt Delphine cradled her. Louisa and Aadan came over.

"These are my children Aunt Delphine, this is Aadan, Louisa, and Athena," I said. Bash wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Hello Miss Delphine, it is a pleasure to meet you," Aadan said. His tone was polite, I felt my chest swell with pride. He was always so polite to those he met. He always could see the good in people. Always offering a helping hand, just like his father.

"The pleasure is all mine," Delphine said. I looked over and saw Aadan and Mae coming over with their children. For the first time in my entire life I felt complete and happy. Delphine stayed with us for the reminder of her life. We made a life here in South Carolina and lived it fully. Watching our three children grow and their children grow. Our grandchildren would fight and see America born. Freedom rooted in their hearts, because Bash was the pirate captain who stole mine.