Ch. 3 What the hell...

3rd person Pov

••••    •   •-••   •-••  ---
H     E    L      L    O

The knocking of Milee's knuckle was heard, the sound of the concrete floor was loud enough for him to hear but it was quiet enough to not echo in the hallway

The foot steps stopped for a brief moment, the slowly walked to the conjoined wall. The person stood still for a moment but she heard them move, and she assumed they sat down.

•--     ••••   •-    -
W     H     A   T

Milee almost smiled... They know what she was saying. Her chest opened with the foreign feeling of joy and hope. Hope for decent human interaction. Joy that someone was here that she could communicate to.

-••     •-     •-•    -•--     •-••
D      A      R      Y        L

A pause was heard before the response. Her hope quivered in her chest. Fear licked at her heart, maybe this was too good to be true. What if it isn't him? What if they would rat her out-

-•--    •    •••
Y      E     S  

Her breath hitched and she responded.

••-         ---   -•-
U           O   K

-•--   •    •••
Y     E    S 

--    ••   •-••   •     •
M   I     L     E    E 

Milee could hear his breath as be sighed. He knew she was a prisoner. Now she's trying to communicate with him.

---    -•-
O     K  

••••    ••-     -•    --•   •-•   -•--
H       U     N     G    R    Y

-•--    •      •••
Y       E      S

Milee reached under her mattress and pulled out her secret stash of saltines the got from one of her lunches a while back. Some workers come by and give her meals while she works and she managed to smuggle them into her cell for emergencies.

Slowly, she pushed a few into the hole in the wall. She was glad it was big enough to fit them.

•••   ---   •-••   • 
H    O    L    E 

Daryl was confused, what hole? He rubbed his hands along the bottom of the wall, and sure enough, when his hand met the corner of the room, a small hole was there. His fingers reached in and pulled out a few saltines. He didn't waste a second before eating them. They were stale, but damn.... They were like caviar at this point. With his injury and everything that happened this morning... He didn't realize how hungry he was until now.

They continued the process until Daryl had eaten the whole sleeve of saltines. He was greatful for the girl next door. Even though Dixon's never say thank you, he decided that this was the exception.

-   ••••   •-   -•    -•-   •••
T    H    A   N    K   S 

Milee smiled, he was greatful. That's a sign of a good man. Her heart soared like a bird after that. She finally had someone. Someone real. She could almost cry. They continued to have very simple conversation before Milee was fighting sleep. She was laying on her back, at the foot of her bed with her fist beside her head. Her poor knuckles were red and almost bleeding by the knocking but she didn't mind.

Daryl was in a similar position. His naked back was resting on the cold concrete wall, his legs were out in front of him. His shoulder ached but he ignored it to the best of his abilities. His knuckles were bleeding, but just like Milee.... He didn't mind. Daryl was fighting sleep too, but he didn't want to say goodbye yet, knowing that this peaceful time won't be returning for a long while. His eyes were closed, just listening and translating the knocks in his brain.

-      ••     •-•    •    -••
T     I      R     E     D

His response was slowed with exhaustion.

•••    •-••   •       •      •--• 
S       L     E      E       P

Milee sighed. She knew he was tired, she was about to pass out as she layed on the cold floor.

---   -•-         -•    ••    -     •
O    K          N    I    T    E

Daryl let the smallest smirk slip by. No one besides him knew it happened.

-•     ••     -      •
N     I      T     E 

Both Milee and Daryl sighed at the same time. The conversation was something they both cherished secretly.

She craved human kindness, something besides cars and harsh shoves of men who would hurt her for fun.

Daryl accepted the simple distraction. His mind reeled with what happened almost an entire day ago. Milee kept his mind on something else, anything else.

The morse code was something they didn't know would be so important to them. They were both greatful for the other. Not even knowing their past, what they were feeling in the present, and having no clue what they both held for each other in the future.

~~~~

Thank you for reading.

If there are any spelling mistakes, please let me know 💜

- Moe <3