Against the World (#2)

Idea from Richtyty

broooo this is such a long chapter...sorry it took so long.

"How are you so damn good at this game?" Chase asked. We were playing pup pup boogie, and I was kicking his butt. "It's because you stink. Not because I'm good." I wasn't looking at Chase, but I could hear him scoff. "You need to give yourself a little more credit. I don't suck, you're just good." I rolled my eyes, but I didn't respond. After a while we threw in the towel, and looked for something else to do. Ryder and the pups were away on a mission, and Chase and I were by ourselves.

We looked around, in desperate search of something to entertain ourselves. "How about we play tag?" Chase suggested. I remember the times we played tag. He would never forcefully push me, as some of the other pups would accidentally do so sometimes. He would lightly touch my nose. I remember one time our noses were inches apart, and I wanted to kiss him so bad. "Sure!" I replied, hoping to have a chance to replicate that day. We were about to start when Ryder contacted us through our pup tags. "Pups? You guys there?" He asked. "Yes, Ryder sir." Chase responded. "Pups, another meteor has crashed in adventure bay. You guys should check this out." Chase and I looked at each other and an understanding flashed between us. "Where are you guys?" I asked. "City hall." Ryder responded. "Right, we'll be there soon." We started running towards our vehicles. "How about you ride with me? It'll be faster." Chase proposed, and I nodded in return.

We hopped into Chase's police cruiser, and we were off. I remember last time a meteor crashed in adventure bay, and it gave us superpowers. I hoped that it would happen again, as it was nice to feel important. I guess I do feel left out sometimes, since all the pups are bigger and stronger than me. And plus, flying on a pink tornado is really fun, trust me.

"You think we're gonna get superpowers again?" Chase, who was silent for the entirety of the trip up until now, had finally spoken up. "I really hope so." I replied.

We arrived at town hall relatively quickly, since it really wasn't that long of a trip. It was quite the scene; there was a hole in the town hall roof, and it was on fire. Marshall was putting out the fire, and I could tell it was a lot worse before we got here. We hopped out of Chase's cruiser, and approached the building. Ryder and the other pups were standing just outside the entrance, so we joined them.

"The meteor crashed right into town hall." Ryder filled us in upon our arrival. "Is Mayor Goodway alright?" Chase asked. I idolized Chase for being so caring and sweet. "She's okay, and so is that chicken. But the meteor looks strangely similar to the one before." 

That was all I needed to hear, and I started running towards the building. I heard scream behind me, but I wasn't listening, and I kept going. With every step my excitement grew. Could this finally be my moment to shine again? after searching frantically, I finally found the meteor, and it was glowing. PERFECT! I thought to myself. But a quick scan of my surroundings informed me that I had made a huge mistake.

Fire, it was everywhere, I just wasn't paying attention. I remember the exterior of the building on fire, and Marshall extinguishing it, also from the outside. In that moment, I realized that the screaming from Ryder and the pups wasn't for nothing. I was just blinded by the hope I would stand out again. 

I tried to get out the way I came in, but the fire had spread and it had blocked off my exit. Damn. "HELP ME!" I shouted, although I knew it was hopeless. Someone would have to be crazy to run through that fire to save me. I was cornered, and the smoke entered my lungs, and I began gasping for air. 

In that moment, a figure burst through the fire wall and was at my side quickly. "Skye? Skye, we've got to get out of here." It was Chase, who had run through the fire to get to me. Although I couldn't really thank him because my lungs were full of smoke "I...c-can't...breathe..." was all I could muster. Suddenly, I heard a spraying noise, and the fire evaporated quickly to reveal Marshall. "The smoke; it's in her lungs!" Chase exclaimed, and that's when Ryder joined us, scooped me up, and rushed me outside.