Licensed to Ill

1987
Five Years Later

I'd like to say I kept close with Adam Yauch, but that would be a lie. I hadn't spoken to him in years, besides a few drunk calls from random hotel rooms.

Yauch and I spoke a few times on the tour. He called me at my first night off in Pennsylvania, and he called me when I reached California. I never called him. He kind of understood that I needed some space. I promised him I would meet up with him after the tour but that never really ended up coming together.

Shifting Shapes went on tour for about a year. The tour itself didn't really give us anymore publicity. We didn't enjoy playing in other states as much as we thought we would.

Our music was always good but the band itself seemed to be falling apart. We almost broke the band up 5 separate times. When we got back to Queens things have been better. We all decided we'd keep the band local.

Besides that, everyone was busy with their own things. Mark got a boyfriend. He had to be very careful about it but he was mostly happy. Sometimes when we catch up he'll talk about how lonely he still feels though. I could relate.

While on tour I slept with a lot of guys. I mean, with men throwing themselves at you it wasn't hard for me to say yes. No one seemed to be incredibly interested in me though. Not like Adam Yauch was. I was surprised to find myself missing him on the long tour nights. When I got back to Queens it was even worse. Back to square one.

Aaron had a kid. While on tour he ended up having a girlfriend. She moved back to Queens with him. Justin was pretty upset because he had to find a new apartment. Aaron was stoked though. He always wanted a kid.

Now back in Queens was pretty normal for me. I was staying at the same apartment and all. When I got back from the tour I had went to call Yauch but it seemed like I was too late. According to Mark, their band was starting to make it big. I stayed out of the newspaper so I didn't exactly keep track on where the Beastie Boys were going.

I remember the day that I first heard Fight for Your Right to Party. That stupid song. It was playing at nearly every club I went to though. It wasn't until I talked to Mark that I even realized it was them. It sounded so different. The Beastie Boys used to be a punk band, but now it was like a boy band. Even if they still had a female member. (I also lost contact with Kate.)

I wasn't super impressed with Fight for Your Right. It sounded wrong. So much originality lost. They were just singing about skipping school, drinking, and getting girls. They had lost substance and it was apparent. Then they came out with the rest of the album. I made it my job, not to listen to it. I heard a couple of songs like Paul Revere and No Sleep Till Brooklyn, but for some reason I found it hurtful to listen to them. Like listening to a lost friend. I saw their names all over the news but I stayed away. All I knew was that they were now on tour themselves.

So after all that... there's no way for me to lie and say I was still friends with Adam Yauch. Because I wasn't. Yet here he was calling me. The call was from his old apartment as well. My heart sunk when I first saw the name. I assumed it was Mark as always. I took in a quick breath, reaching for the phone.

"Hello?" I asked nervously.

"Hey is this Cynthia?" The voice was Yauch's. There was something different about it. It had gotten deeper and raspier.

"This is her," I gulped.

"Nice... well this is Adam Yauch. Remember me?"

"Uh something of that matter," I blinked.

"I wasn't sure you'd still be under this number," He chuckled.

"Likewise."

"I decided to have my old number back. I'm in a much nicer apartment now," He almost sounded like he was bragging ... but to who?