Chapter 2

"Enzo?" Bonnie said as she moved through the crowd towards him.

"Ah, Bonnie..." Enzo fidgeted awkwardly. "I'm not here for you. Blondie, I'm here for you."

Klaus instinctively put himself in front of Caroline. "Why?"

Enzo vamped over to Klaus and started looking him up and down. "Ah, Klaus. The British guy that's well traveled, with dodgy morals. Arrogant, tactless..." Enzo looked past Klaus to Caroline, "What was the last one Caroline? Oh, completely unable to take a hint."

Caroline pulled Klaus back and held onto his arm. "How are you here, Enzo? You're dead."

"So are you."

Caroline rolled her eyes. "Okay, well you're supposed to be deader than me."

"I'm back." He smiled a charming smile and spun around to look at everyone in the room. "My God, I missed partying."

Damon finally cleared his throat and stepped up standing next to Caroline. "How are you here, man? Why do you need Caroline? Can't we just catch up over a bourbon?"

Enzo vamped into Damon's face and studied it. "Ah, a human Damon. Never thought I'd see the day. Not that I owe you an explanation, but there is a reason I'm here, and I do really need Caroline. Rain check for that drink though. We have a lot to catch up on." He looked past Damon to Elena giving her a slight eye roll.

Klaus let out a low growl, "You're not taking my fiancé anywhere."

"Oh, being angry is unnecessary. You can come too. In fact, I wish you would." He obviously fake gleamed.

Bonnie stepped towards Enzo again, "They're not going anywhere with you. Why are you here?"

"Ugh, I really don't want to take the whole squad." Enzo turned around and put his hands on her face, "Bonnie." He looked into her eyes softly and swiped his thumb over her bottom lip. "I promise to bring them back in one piece. And before the party is even over. I just need some information from Caroline. I don't actually need her..." Enzo turned around glancing at Caroline and Klaus, "fiancé" he said through gritted teeth and turned back to Bonnie, "I just know he won't let her go without him and what better way to prove I'm not here to harm anyone than to let her hybrid, murderous, psychopath come with us?"

Bonnie stared at him for a moment and then pulled his hands off her face. "Your humanity is off, but I believe you though."

Enzo smiled, "it's not really up to you." He turned back towards Caroline and Klaus. "Let's go shall we? I don't want to run out of gas and I kept the car running." He went towards the front door.

"We aren't going anywhere with you." Klaus basically growled out causing Enzo to pause in his tracks.

Caroline stepped towards Klaus and whispered in his ear, "I want to help him."

Klaus' head jerked quickly towards her as if he was shocked. "I owe him." She added.

Klaus took her hand and began walking out the door behind Enzo. He glanced at Marcel on the way out and gave him a small nod and getting one in return. Caroline looked between the men with a questioning look, but she knew whatever they just shared was for protection.

They all three climbed into the black SUV. Enzo in the driver's seat, Caroline sitting in the middle of the backseat, and Klaus next her in backseat on the passenger side. They all sat silently for several minutes. Enzo and Caroline sharing silent looks in the rear view mirror. Neither able to read the other's face.

"Aren't you wondering where I'm taking you?" Enzo finally broke the silence.

Caroline turned her head towards Klaus who was looking out the window, jaw clenched tightly. "Would you tell us if we asked?" she responded still studying Klaus' profile.

"You look sickeningly in love." Enzo stated. "Just know there's an issue that's recently occurred and I need your help to fix it."

Caroline rolled her eyes and then made eye contact with Enzo through the rear view mirror again. "Vague. I'm shocked."

"Well, your little rascals are the only reason it's an issue." He faked a smile.

Caroline's brow furrowed, "Like my kids?"

Enzo didn't respond, but the way his body tensed was a dead giveaway. Caroline turned her attention back to Klaus who was now looking at her. They shared a confused yet worried look. He grabbed her hand and they spent the rest of the short ride just like that.

Enzo pulled up to an abandoned house. A large grey farmhouse that had holes and was filthy. It had to have been abandoned for several decades. He got out and walked up to the house as Caroline and Klaus slowly got out of the car.

"We don't have all day." Enzo snapped without even turning around.

Klaus and Caroline walked into the house behind him dodging holes in the floor and bugs and cobwebs.

"Charming." Klaus growled out.

"Well, no one would think to look for me here." He turned around to Klaus and Caroline and studied them for a moment. They were still holding hands but Caroline looked worried and Klaus just looked angry. "Well, I'll get on with it then." He gestured toward a new looking loveseat as he sat in a new looking recliner.

He waited for Klaus and Caroline to sit before he continued. "Obviously, I'm not supposed to be here. Stefan killed me. However, I am here. I've been here about a week trying to figure out how I got here." He shifted in his seat and turned his attention to Klaus. "I think someone is raising the dead. I believe it's the same grimoir that your daughter used to bring you back."

"I'm guessing by enlisting us, you're incapable of finding out who it is?" Klaus raised a challenging brow.

"No need to be rude. I've hit a dead end. As insufferable as your fiancé's little Scooby gang can be, it made me realize sometimes you just need to ask for help."

"Wait? Scooby gang? But you just wanted to talk to me?" Caroline was confused.

"Actually, I have an engagement gift for you." Enzo stood and walked over to a door that he yanked on rather hard as pieces of wood crumbled around it.

Caroline watched quietly as she felt Klaus stiffen next to her.

"Caroline?" A familiar voice chilled her to the bone as she release a hollow gasp.

"Stefan?"