Chapter Two

Forrest's POV

I fumbled with my belongings in the guest room while my mind raced over what the hell was happening.

Hazel was here in the same fucking Air b&b as me. This had to be some sort of a sick joke.

'Or divine intervention' I heard my subconscious say.

I shook my head at the thought. 'No. Don't start that shit. I'm over her. We're done. Divorced.'

I can't believe I'm divorced at 24. What ever happened to us? We were so in love at one time in our lives. Now she looks at me like I'm a stranger.

Speaking of looks, Hazel looked absolutely amazing. Better than I'd remembered. She was so fit and looked...happy. Much happier than when we were married. I frowned at the memory of her miscarriage and the dark time after. She went through so much, and instead of being there for her, I ran off like a scared little boy. It was my fault our marriage fell apart. I left her alone during the hardest point in her life.

I heard Hazel out in the kitchen. It sounded like she was getting water from the fridge. Not long after I heard the front door open and close. I waited a few minutes and then exited the bedroom and peeked out the bay window. Hazel was making her way to the beach in a yellow bikini...damn she looked incredible. She'd probably get hit on by all the frat tools down there today. The thought irritated me more than it should have.

'You should go down there and make sure that doesn't happen.' My subconscious urged.

Again, I shook my head at the thought. Hazel wasn't my concern anymore. I had no right to worry about her personal life.

'You haven't stopped worrying about that for the past 4 years...'

I groaned and paced the house trying to clear my head. I settled for a trip to the bar. That would help.

Hazel's POV

I laid my towel down and plopped myself onto it, looking out at my happy place. The ocean. I could see it every day and never get tired of it. I sighed and combed my hands through my hair, checking out the rest of the beach. It was pretty full of younger people. I watched as a young father walked his toddler to the water. The little girl squealed when the cold water washed over her feet. Her and her father ran back from the water over and over. After some time a heavily pregnant woman approached them and joined in. I smiled watching the sweet family and thought about how different my life might have been had my little boy made it into this crazy world.

I made my way to the ocean and waded into the water. It was surprisingly not that cold at all. I stayed out there in the water for awhile, drifting over the waves. I decided that I would stay here for my full 3 weeks of vacation even if it meant living in a house with my ex husband. It could be a really good healing opportunity for both of us.

I headed back for my place on the beach to do some sun bathing. I laid there for hours reading a new Nicholas Sparks book when a random guy ran up and handed me a flyer for some event at the local bar. He didn't stay long enough for me to thank him. I used the flyer to bookmark where I was in my story. My stomach started to growl so I decided to pack up my things and head back to the house to figure out dinner. I was relieved when I entered the the house to find it empty. I walked over to the fridge and peeked inside. Nothing but a case of beer and some leftover Chinese takeout.

I remembered the flyer saying something about it being wing night at the bar. Wings sounded good. I rinsed off in the shower and dressed in some jean shorts and a crop top. My auburn hair was doing the nice beachy wave thing so I didn't mess with it. I applied some light makeup and headed out the door to the bar. It was only a few blocks so I settled on walking. The sun was setting when I finally made it to the bar which was pretty packed with college kids.