Chapter Eight

My mind went completely blank after Forrest uttered those words.

I could see his mouth moving, but I couldn't hear a thing but the blood rushing to my head and the sound of my heart thumping in my chest. I was going to pass out. I could feel it. I stood slowly from the stool and stumbled back towards the sofa. Forrest came around and caught me before I fell just before reaching the couch.

"Hazel?! Are you okay? Hazel, can you hear me?"

My head slowly stopped spinning and my hearing was starting to return.

I looked into Forrest's eyes and felt....betrayal...I knew we were separated. I knew I asked for a divorce. But hearing this news hurt me.

I pulled away from Forrest and stood. He tried to help me up but I pulled away.

"Hazel..."

"No."

"Hazel, you promised me..."

"Excuse me?? Don't you dare act like the victim, here."

"Hazel, please. I can explain."

"Explain what?! You going to explain why this information wasn't important enough to tell me before you got me into bed with you??"

"I didn't want it effect our relationship..."

"Our relationship?! Forrest there isn't a relationship. You have a child with another woman and you didn't tell me!!!"

"Hazel, you told me you wanted a divorce! I was devastated! It was a one night stand and it didn't mean anything!!! I had completely forgotten about it until she called me up one day to tell me she was pregnant."

"Why wouldn't you have used protection, Forrest??"

"I did! But she insists that this baby is mine. She's going to have a test done where they can check the baby for various genetic abnormalities. The doctor said they're capable of performing a DNA test with that information as well."

I scoffed. "Well, that's just great. My baby dies, and you get to just pop another one in someone else. No big deal."

"Hazel. It wasn't like that, I swear to God! I would never do that to you. I love you! I was heartbroken and I made a stupid fucking decision when I was drunk off my ass. It meant nothing to me!"

"Well, if that baby is yours, it's going to mean a whole lot more than nothing, Forrest!"

"So what if it is mine then, Hazel? You saying you'll leave me if I find out that it's mine? You said you loved me..."

"I do love you Forrest! And I thought you loved me, too. But love isn't keeping secrets, especially of that magnitude. This is another human being we're talking about. I just...I can't believe that you let it get this far before you thought to tell me..."

"Why, Hazel? Because you'd have more reason to put up your guard and hide from any sort of conflict or negative emotion? Because any sign of discomfort and you hit the road, right?? You should be happy, because at least I've given you an easy way out now so take it. Run away. I never meant a god damned thing to you!!"

"Me?? You're the one who can't keep it in your fucking pants for five minutes! You were fucking people while we were still married, so I'm honestly not surprised."

"Wait just a fucking minute."

"No, you wait!! I saw you outside of a bar with some blonde bimbo hanging all over you while we were separated. Don't you dare try to deny it."

"Hazel, I don't know what you think you saw, but I NEVER slept with anyone while we were still married. When the divorce proceedings started, I went out of my mind a bit and made some really poor decisions, I will own them, but I never cheated on you." Forrest was looking me dead in the eye.