I wish for Rogue Birds

Hey y'all! Thanks for checking out my story and staying with me for so long. You probably noticed the cover change, and I might change the title, Speedbump has just always kinda been a working title. Thanks for reading!

~~~~~~~~~

I plummet and then level out and look for anything suspicious flying around. The sky is clear and I can see the city below me. My radio crackles to life, "See anything?" Mom asks.

"Nothing so far.""Radio me if you need backup okay?"

"Don't worry Mom, it was probably just a rogue bird." I spoke too soon. A metal drone flies over me and fires something my way. "Yikes!" I yelp and swerve to get out of the way. Out of the corner of my eye I see a news helicopter. "Great" I mumble and fly after the drone, trying to figure out if it is armed elsewhere.

The news helicopter follows me as I chase down the drone. "Mom, why are there news crews?"

"News crews!" she exclaims "This isn't good. How did they know there would be trouble?"

"I don't know! A sixth sense?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Sienna! We need to get you out of here! We don't want any crazy footage they can manipulate."

"It's fine Mom. I can get rid of the drone quickly and then we'll practically be at the airport. Just keep flying toward LAX and I'll meet up with you soon." I cut off the transmission and scan the sky for the drone. All I can see is the news helicopter, probably still filming. Something zooms above my head and I chase after it. I can see the drone again and it fires again. I throw a force field around the mini missile and keep going, trying to get closer to the drone so I can destroy it. It flits around, not really going anywhere as if it wants me to catch it. I oblige as I fly after it and grab onto it. The drone's blades spin faster and it opens up its missile launcher. "Oops!" I squeak as I let go. It plummets and I throw another force field at the whole drone. The missile bounces off of the force field and flies toward the drone, which dodges. This continues for a few seconds until the drone's tiny missile finally blows it up.

"You're clear Mom! Let's get ready to land."

"Get in here! I will not have you flying into the airport with news helicopters following you!"

"Fine, hover and I'll climb back in"

"Be careful, I'm not cleaning your guts off of the copter."

"Geez ma, love you too."

"Come on, get in."

I climb into the helicopter and buckle up. "What was it?" Mom asks.

"It was an armed drone. I have no idea who made it. There wasn't anything obvious on it and it was destroyed in the explosion."

"How did the news people know it would be there?"

"I don't know Mom, I told you. I have no idea what's going on."

"Well we're going to find out what's going on as soon as we land."

Mom lands the copter on the helipad at the Los Angeles International Airport and we climb out and into the back of a limo. The paparazzi follow like a stampede of elephants, shouting questions and snapping pictures. I smile to avoid making an unattractive face. "Wow, I didn't think word got around this quickly when superheroes are in town."

"It''s going to get worse but hopefully it will die down by the time you're twenty."

"Twenty!"

"You heard me."

"Noooo. I can't be famous for five years straight. I have no patience for this, you know that."

"Honey, some people are famous their whole lives. You'll be fine for a few years.And who knows? Maybe thing will die down by the end of the month. You never know what will catch the media. A dress could become more famous than you in a matter of seconds." We pull up to a skyscraper and the driver opens my door. "Penthouse suite miss, fifty seventh floor."

"Thank you." My mother says and pulls me into the hotel.

"Is this a hotel?" I ask gazing at the enormous atrium elevator. "Yes and no. There are condos here too but the penthouse is kept for celebrities and their agents."

We step into the glass elevator and I watch people become tiny specks on the atrium floor below. I turn to my mother, "Who's the agent again?"

"Sienna," she throws me a disapproving look, "His name is Arsenio Pratt. He's new since our old manager retired last month. She recommended him to us so we hired him." A long silence followed as I watched the floor numbers go up one by one. The doors open to a large corridor with double doors at the end. We walk over and my mother opens the door, "After you." she says with a smile as if I have no idea what I'm in for. She's right. The penthouse is huge! A giant chandelier hangs in the foyer, shimmering in the light. I step into the room and see a full kitchen to the right and a hallway with bedrooms on the left. "Pretty cool isn't it?" Mom asks, her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah." I reply breathily, "Pretty cool."My mom laughs

"I thought you'd like it."

"It's the size of a house!"

"You like it?"

"It's incredible! Gorgeous! This is insane!"

"All of the above?" Mom asks with a laugh.

"Totally!"

"Well get freshened up, you have room one, the master suite."

"I have the master ?What about you?"

"Don't worry! And trust me, you'll need plenty of space. Now go on, Arsenio will be here in half an hour."