At What Cost ~ P.P

YOUR POV

Peter Parker, better known as Spider-Man, had always believed in the greater good. From the moment he gained his incredible abilities, he dedicated himself to protecting the city and its inhabitants. His life revolved around being a hero, and his commitment was unwavering. But as he fought relentlessly against crime and injustice, he failed to realize the toll it was taking on his personal life.

Being his girlfriend, you had been his rock throughout your relationship. You had stood by him, supporting his life as Spider-Man. But as time went on, Peter found himself becoming consumed by his responsibilities, leaving less and less time for your relationship.

You were growing tired of being the last thought on his mind at the end of the day. He would go around saving the world and then, at night, send a simple text to check in. He wouldn't bother to send good morning texts, walk you to or from school, or plan out dates anymore. And if there was a date, it was canceled or cut short. He was always preoccupied with saving the world—so preoccupied that sometimes you would go days without seeing him. Days would turn into weeks, and weeks would turn into months at times, unless you caught the occasional 2-minute talk when you saw each other in the hallways at school. You barely got one-on-one time with him, and you began to feel neglected.

Spider-Man was hailed as a hero by the city, but to you, he was slipping away. He no longer reminded you of the man you fell in love with. Your heart ached as you watched your boyfriend fade into the distance, seeming to become nothing more than a memory. You used to blame yourself all the time for it. He was the first friend you made when school started, and when you two got together, you didn't bother trying to make other friends.

This led to you two hanging out all the time, and now that he was so distant, it felt like you were truly alone and had no one to confide in. But he was so oblivious to your pain. You could imagine your surprise when he texted you the day before the first day of senior year to sleep over at your place. He had apologized a thousand times for not getting to see you this week, and he wanted to make up for it by spending the night together and then starting the day together as well.

Of course, you weren't going to decline, and here he was cuddling you as you binge-watched an entire series on Netflix called "Never Have I Ever." And here you were, disagreeing on who the main character should end up with.

"Mhm, see, my thing is that Ben isn't as hot as Paxton. It's like his personality is good, but his looks just add the final touch."

"So what, are you with me because I'm hot?"

"Are you kidding? Of course I am; you're so hot, babe." You said it jokingly, then pressed a kiss against the side of his temple. "I'm going to get us some more popcorn." You muttered as you hopped off the bed and darted towards the kitchen.

The second you were gone, he got a ring from his phone, detecting a robbery in progress. He hesitated for a minute, contemplating if he should leave, but he figured that you would understand why he left. As Peter rushed to change into his Spider-Man suit to go and pursue a bank robbery, his eyes came up for a moment and caught a glimpse of your distant expression, not noticing you had returned. He realized that something was terribly wrong, and maybe you wouldn't understand why he got up in an instant to go on the mission after all.

"Do you want me to stay?" He asks, half of his suit already on slipped on. You wanted to scream, 'Yes! Please stay, we're having such a great time!', but you couldn't stand being in between him and his heroism. You pause for a moment, holding the popcorn bowl in your hands, and look at him with a mix of disappointment and sadness. "I don't know, Peter," you reply softly. "Do you even have to ask? It feels like you're always choosing Spider-Man over me."