- 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕 -

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓 ——

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓 ——

【 𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓 】

MAEVE HELD HER BREATH.

She felt her heart drop and her mind go blank.

She felt the air whiz past her as she was falling.

She also felt Anthony's warm hand engulfing hers. And that brought her some kind of foreign comfort. A feeling she hasn't felt in a long time. But that amenity and contentment soon disappeared and got replaced with pain.

The breath got knocked out of her as she came in contact with the unforgiving and scratchy grass. Maeve groaned and rolled onto her back, trying to get some needed air back into her lungs.

Due to the smoke, the fire caused, the shallow breaths she took were only filled with smoke and Mae couldn't stop coughing.

"Ant—", she coughed again and reached her hand out trying to find his.

"Anthony?! Ant!"

She didn't get a response. Her breath hitched as she started clawing at the grass, with the distant hope that the boy she promised to hate was only an arm length away.

"Here's the other one!", an unknown man shouted in the dark as he hauled Maeve up by her upper arm.

"Let go of me, you inarticulate bumble!"

"Bring her in. The inspector will be pleased.", a second voice was heard.

—————

"I've heard about you Miss Spade.", a dark-skinned man entered the poorly lit interrogation room and sat in front of the young girl.

"Is that supposed to scare me, Mr...?", she huffed in annoyance and leaned back in her seat with her arms crossed.

"Inspector Barnes. I pulled your file. You're quite the character, aren't you?", he throws the said file onto the metal table in front, and started reading out loud: "You were a promising agent at the Sinclair and Saones agency, decided to go rogue, and later joined Lockwood and Co."

"Is there a question, because if not I will gladly be on my merry way."

"DEPRAC has glowing things to say about you, and the most prestigious of agencies sought after you. So, my question is, why? Why did you go rogue and why did you join Lockwood and Co some time after?"

Why. Why did she?

And that sole question made the nightmares come back tenfold. The only problem was that it wasn't night-time. She grew up with the illusion that nightmares could only come and haunt her in her sleep. That's why she never really did, sleep. But burdens and torments tend to catch up, and this time she didn't have a blanket present to hide her from the boogieman.