Chapter 9 - Return Me Back

(Friday)

"Excuse me," Clark asked one of the officers when he arrived at the St. Louis Police Station. "Where is officer Jereck?"

"Sir, he is in Detective Gomez's office," the officer replied, pointing the way to Detective Gomez's office.

"Thank you," Clark said, as he immediately headed to her office.

He noticed that inside the police station, so many police had been active that day. He smiled when he saw some policemen taking their jobs seriously, just like Jereck and Detective Gomez did.

He knocked on Gomez's door. "Excuse me, Detective Gomez?"

Jereck opened the door. "Clark, come in. We all need to talk."

"Good evening, Clark. This is one of the guys who had been roaming in your place before," Detective Gomez said, indicating the person.

"Where is the other one?" Clark asked.

"He ran," Jereck said. "He ran when we were approaching them."

"But for now, I need you to focus on this man's appearance," Gomez said. "Look at his wrist."

Clark gasped when he saw a name on the man's wrist. It had a different name on it, but it had the same font as the guy who had been caught before. He thought the guy who had not been caught till today also had the same font but he wasn't sure. The name on his wrist said 'Rohan.'

"Who is Rohan?" he demanded, his voice quivering with a mix of curiosity and concern. "What are you guys planning? Is this some kind of cult? Say something!" His words echoed through the room, filled with urgency and a hint of desperation.

Jereck interjected, his tone reflecting frustration. "That's why we're questioning him, but he won't answer."

The man, his face etched with defiance, finally spoke up. "Why are you guys doing this? I'm innocent! You'll all pay for accusing me," he protested vehemently.

"He is right; for now, we don't have any evidence of this guy, so we can't keep him here," Gomez said, grabbing the key to the handcuffs.

"He might tell everyone that we now know something about them," Clark said.

"We don't really know, Clark, but we planned it already." Gomez whispered to Clark, her voice filled with uncertainty. She took a few steps towards him, her eyes searching for him. "Even though this might somehow support our theory, it still wasn't enough. We called you here because we want you to know that we still have a chance to uncover all of this."

Her words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of the unknown. He glanced at Jereck, who stood beside him, his expression grave. "This is the beginning of everything you have started, Clark," he said, his voice low and determined.

With a decisive nod, Detective Gomez released the man from the handcuffs. The police officers escorted him back to the place where he was found, his demeanor a mix of confusion and apprehension. Once he was out of sight, they returned to Gomez's office, the walls lined with shelves of case files and evidence.

Sitting down in her chair, Gomez leaned back, her gaze fixed on Clark. "So, what now?" he asked, unable to hide his concern. "Now that they know we are slowly cracking their secrets."

Gomez's eyes sparkled with a glimmer of determination. "Don't worry," she reassured him. "We didn't release him just because we don't have enough evidence from him."

Jereck stepped forward, his voice steady. "We've assigned some of our best officers to follow him discreetly, making sure he doesn't notice he's being followed." The room seemed to buzz with renewed purpose as Jereck's words sank in. The sudden increase in police activity outside finally made sense.