Chapter 10 - Return Me Back

(Saturday)

"He's awake," came a familiar female voice, laden with concern. Clark struggled to pry his heavy eyelids open, his vision blurry. Attempting to sit up, he found himself unable to, but fortunately, Ledet was there to lend a helping hand. As he focused his tired gaze on her, a flood of relief washed over him.

"Ledet, you're here?" he managed to utter, his voice betraying his exhaustion.

"Of course I'm here, you got me worried" she replied, her tone a mix of anger and deep worry. "Officer Jereck called. He said you got yourself into something dangerous."

Clark began to explain, but Ledet cut him off, her emotions overpowering her words. A flurry of figures entered the room, their presence adding an air of tension to the already charged atmosphere. Detective Gomez, with a stern expression etched across her face, made her way towards them, her footsteps purposeful and determined.

"You're trying to get yourself killed by doing that, Clark!" she exclaimed, her voice laced with frustration and genuine concern.

Detective Jereck, standing a few steps behind her, looked on with a mix of worry and confusion. "She's right, Clark," he interjected, his voice filled with caution. "That was an incredibly risky move. You could have ended up like Lester."

Brian said Lester made a noise, that's why he got caught, and Brian... Jereck began, but Clark swiftly interrupted him, not allowing him to finish his sentence.

He couldn't let them believe the distorted version of events. Clark's voice strained and tired as he interrupted Jereck before he could finish his thought. "That's not what happened," he asserted, the words tumbling out in a rush.

Confusion flickered across Jereck's face as he tried to comprehend Clark's interruption. "What do you mean?" he asked, his voice tinged with curiosity and apprehension.

"He shot him!" Clark blurted out, his voice echoing through the room, causing Detective Gomez to quickly interject, her eyes darting around the room for any signs of eavesdroppers.

"Lower your voice, Clark," she admonished, her tone firm yet filled with a hint of urgency.

"What did you say?" Jereck asked, his voice filled with disbelief and a desperate need to understand the gravity of Clark's words.

"He shot him," Clark repeated, his voice hushed but determined. "When I followed them, Brian wasn't even attempting to hide. Lester trailed behind him, moving cautiously. Then, at a certain spot where they both halted, Brian let out a sharp whistle, a signal for someone. Suddenly, two bald men appeared behind Lester. And that's when Brian pulled out his gun, aiming it directly at Lester. He callously uttered, 'When there's money involved, that's where I am.'"

Detective Gomez interjected, her voice laced with concern and a touch of suspicion. "He does sound suspicious," she mused, her gaze fixed on Clark. "You can't simply leave your partner's body behind. When the police arrived, they found only you and Lester's lifeless form."

"Yeah, you're right. He didn't even call for backup. Instead, you were the one who called the police," Jereck acknowledged, his voice filled with a mixture of frustration and admiration.

Clark couldn't help but hang his head in remorse, overwhelmed by a profound sense of guilt. "I tried to save him, but I couldn't. All I could do was call the police," he admitted, his voice heavy with regret. "I'm so sorry."

Gomez's gaze softened, understanding the weight of Clark's burden. She reached out, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, Clark. You weren't in a position to save Lester. If you had intervened, you might have risked your own life. Calling the police was the right thing to do. You're essential to achieving justice for Lester and all those who need it," she reassured him, her voice filled with empathy.