Chapter 6

"We should get moving," Trumpkin said, shaking you again, "wake up."

"It's barely dawn," Edmund complained, groaning as he stretched.

"That means it's time to get moving," Trumpkin repeated, "the sooner we get to safety, the better."

You nodded and sat up, securing your sword and bow to their places and stretching. The rest of your siblings did the same, although there was a great deal more complaining being done.

The day went by without any issues and the sun was just setting over the horizon when you heard the rushing waves of the river. "See, I told you the river would cut the journey in half," Peter said as the water came into sight.

"Except there is still no crossing," Trumpkin muttered in annoyance.

You stood on the edge of the gorge with your siblings, looking at the 100 foot drop to the rapids. "Where is the crossing, Peter?" Susan asked, crossing her arms across her chest.

"It should be here," Peter said, looking up and down the gorge.

"Clearly in 700 hundred years, the bridge was eroded," she responded, "like Trumpkin said, and now we've added time to the journey."

"How do you figure?" Edmund asked.

"Where is the nearest crossing of the gorge, Trumpkin?" Susan asked, clearly trying to make a point.

"There isn't one," he responded, "we have to go around for at least 100 leagues."

Susan nodded, satisfied with being right, but you didn't give her time to gloat, "enough," you said, "it doesn't matter now, let's rest for the night and chart a new path tomorrow."

"Or we could be almost there if we had listened to the dwarf instead," Susan continued.

"It doesn't matter Susan," you interrupted, "we're here now, so let's make the most of it." She rolled her eyes, but finally relented and sat down on the dirt a safe distance from the edge of the gorge.

You were about to sit down, when you realized you were one short, "where's Lucy?"

The others looked around and shrugged, "she was here," Edmund responded.

Your eyes grew wide as you jumped up, "Lucy!" you shouted. The other joined you, branching in different directions, "Lucy!" you shouted again.

"I'm here," you finally heard a shout, a good distance from where you made a small camp.

"Lucy!" you said, running up to here, "why did you run off."

"I saw Aslan!" she said in excitement, "over here, but now he is gone."

You smiled at her, "where did you see him?"

"Over here," she said, pointing to the edge of the gorge, "overlooking the water."

The others had gathered to you now, "Lu, you can't just run off," Susan said, giving her a tight hug.

"She saw Aslan," you explained, "overlooking the gorge."

"Where is he now?" Peter asked.

Lucy shook her head, "I don't know."

"Because it was your imagination," Trumpkin dismissed, "we should get back."

"I did see him," Lucy responded.

You sighed, "I'm sure you did Lu."

"But he's not here now," Peter added.

You hit him in the arm and leaned over to Lucy, "want to look again?"

She smiled and nodded, carefully examining the place she saw him. "Why?" Susan asked, gesturing to Lucy now looking over the gorge, "we should get back."

"Because she believes her," Edmund answered.

You nodded, "of course I do, Lucy had a connection with him that the rest of us did not. If she says she saw him, she did."

Everyone watched Lucy as she stepped ever closer to the edge of the gorge, "be careful, Lu," Susan shouted.

She nodded and continued on, "and what are you going to do if she falls," Susan asked, "and you let her investigate."

"You need to stop treating her like a child, she is a queen here too," you responded.

"She is a child," Susan replied.

"She wasn't always," you answered, "trust her instincts." Just as the words left your mouth, Lucy screamed as the ground under her feet gave way and she fell and there was nothing you could do but watch.