sixteen

THE SUN HAD set long ago, and the group was still sat outside the plane

THE SUN HAD set long ago, and the group was still sat outside the plane. It wasn't long after Topper left that they realized Kie probably wasn't coming, most likely due to her parents. So Cleo and Pope set off to find her and hopefully bring her with them, but that had been hours ago.

Jo sighed and began to bounce her foot impatiently. Her eyes scanned the edge of the tarmac, as if willing the rest of the group to appear. And suddenly, to her surprise, a dirt bike sped up to the plane. Jo jumped to her feet and descended the plane steps, but she halted in her tracks when she saw who was on the bike.

"Don't worry, dad," Rafe Cameron was saying as he slid to a stop. "I got you."

The group watched Rafe get off the bike and Ward fall to the ground. He let out a groan and grabbed his leg, crying out in pain as Rafe struggled to pull him back to his feet. Jo took notice of the blood that coated Ward's pants and she felt an odd twinge of satisfaction bubble in her stomach. After everything he put her through, this was the least of the karma he deserved.

"Don't just stand there! Someone help!" Rafe shouted, grunting as he put his arm under Ward's and tried to lift him again.

No one moved at first. They all stood in tense silence, watching in disbelief. John B looked like he was ready to commit a war crime. Jo didn't blame him one bit.

"Come on! Help, help, please!" Rafe yelled. Ward was standing now, but leaning heavily on Rafe and looked like he might fall again. Sarah was breathing heavily as she looked between her family and the plane. She squeezed her eyes shut and cursed before jogging over and allowing Ward to put his other arm around her shoulders.

"A fisherman saw him, alright?" Rafe panted. "He's gotta get off the island."

"This cannot be happening," JJ murmured, his eyes following the Camerons as Rafe hauled Ward onto the plane.

Sarah watched until Ward was out of sight and then stepped back down to the tarmac, pressing the backs of her hands to her head. "Shit!" She cursed loudly before turning around and rushing back inside, leaving the rest to convene on the cement.

"No. Hell no!" Jo objected. "We are not getting on a plane with him. No way."

"Don't worry, he's not coming?" Cleo questioned when Sarah came back out, quoting her from earlier. She looked mortified and her chest rose and fell erratically as she made her way towards John B.

"He wasn't supposed to," she said in between heavy breaths. "He stays on this island, he gets arrested."

"I don't see the problem here," Jo shrugged. "It only seems fair he pays for his crimes after trying to make us the scapegoat."

"Sarah, I don't think you understand," John B spoke up. "I don't think I can get on a plane with him."

"This is his plane," Sarah sighed. "I can't stop him from leaving. But he will still give us a ride to Orinoco. So if you don't want to get on the plane, I get it. We'll find another way."