twenty

JO AND JOHN B were their father's children

JO AND JOHN B were their father's children. Jo realized this as she reflected on his life. He wanted a great quest. A life full of adventure. And he'd had it. He made it for himself, and for his kids. Because although he wasn't the best dad when it came to being there for his kids, he still gave them the magic and adventure he spent his whole life craving. He left a legacy for them and everyone else in the outer banks, an epic story that would undoubtedly be told for generations to come. He showed Jo the magic of life and that anything was possible if you put your mind to it. He'd shown her the world.

She would never stop being grateful for that.

They'd stayed in South America to bury Big John. Leaving his body in the boat just didn't feel right, so the pogues lugged him back onto dry land and dug him a grave. They left a small cross for Ward, too, since there was no way they'd be able to retrieve his body from that ravine and bury him, so she'd decided to find some sticks to make a small cross and left a picture of her family there. They'd all said a few words, Jo leaning into JJ as they did so. She tried to keep the thoughts at bay, but they pelted her relentlessly. What would happen now? Where would she and John B go, with no parents? Would they become rich with all this gold? Would anyone even believe they found El Dorado?

The answers to those questions came to her when they returned to the outer banks. They had, in fact, become rich, and now they were about to receive a medal for their honor and bravery while searching for this ancient lost city. It was almost laughable that Shoupe would be leading the ceremony, the very deputy who had arrested them and brushed off their concerns again and again. But now, everyone would know that they weren't just dumb, poor kids. They were heroes.

The ache in her chest still persisted as she sat outside the town hall, thinking about how much her father would love this. For her entire life, people had judged him and turned away from him for what they decided was foolish arrogance. But he'd found not only the Royal Merchant, but an entire city of gold. She hoped he was smiling down on them, wherever he was.

JJ shifted uncomfortably in his chair. He wore a black leather jacket and jeans — typical JJ fashion, even though they were supposed to dress fancy for this thing. Jo smiled over at him and grabbed his hand. He immediately gripped hers back, some of the tension in his shoulders dissipating. She knew he wasn't fond of crowds or being the center of attention when it came to the entirety of the island.

"An expedition of one man, John Routledge, and a group of teenagers who are with us today — locals — who grew up here and who succeeded where centuries of conquistadors, explorers, and admirals failed. Today, we come together to celebrate these teens. Friends from both sides of the island who came together to solve this 500 year old mystery. Let's hear it for them!"

Jo took a shaky breath and exhaled slowly, keeping hold of JJ's hand as the group rose to their feet. The crowd sat before them stood too, cheering and applauding. Jo resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the Kooks that flanked the town hall, celebrating their victory as if they hadn't spit on the pogues at every opportunity.