New Inspiration

AN: hello I hope everyone is doing well.

Courtney's POV

7:00 PM

I pull up to my parent's house in my Silver Mercedes Benz. Even after a long day of meetings, calls and going over cases I still showed up for dinner.

Walking toward the mansion I looked around seeing everything was well kept.

Knocking on the door I don't wait long to see a figure approaching...

Once open I'm greeted "Good evening Miss. Preston your parents are expecting you, " says the maid stepping to the side to let me walk in.

As I walked down the hall and to the main foyer I look around seeing not much has changed aside from everything being neat, clean and organized to my mothers' standards.

Continuing walking I turn left to the dining room to hear faint voices as I walk in I see both my parents sitting at the grand dining table.

" Good evening Mom and Dad " I greeted walking towards them " There she is, " says dad standing up from his seat still wearing his suit, I'm guessing he must of just arrived not to long ago from another office.

I get a quick hug from both of them before we settled down in our seats, followed by our butler serving us each wine.

" I was surprised you wanted me over tonight " I said before taking a sip of wine 🍷 " Yes...I've noticed how you've been running our main firm when I'm away " he starts giving a neutral expression.

" Yes dear your father and I have been impressed with how you've handled everything along with getting mergers up by an additional 70% " explains mom smiling " and getting our clients up by 90% it's truly all very well done " said dad sounding very pleased.

I couldn't help but smile hearing the praise I was getting, if this didn't prove I deserve to be on the board then I don't know what else could.

" But are you doing enough? " asks Dad now changing his tone of voice and attitude " what are you talking about dad? " I asked getting upset.

Same old dad whenever I was doing something that benefits firm and increases our offices percentages, Dad always finds a way to either ruin it or questions my ability to do what I do best.

" With all the cases that we take how is it that they are not closed quicker," said Dad giving me a stern expression " Dad we get new cases all the time as soon as one or 10 or even 100 close new ones always show up in our office " I explain " and depending the case they're assigned on the experience of our lawyers even our rookie lawyers are getting cases that they've managed to settle in a day " I add eyeing my dad.

Shaking his head Dad takes a sip of wine "Honey your father only wants to make sure you're doing everything right " explains mom looking between us.

" Dad I do the work, I make sure everything runs smoothly, I check reports, I have increased mergers and clients growths...I do everything " I state staring at him " and I want to be on the board " I add.

Dad turns to look at me "Honey you being on the board with me will only make others think I handed that position to you " he says just as dinner is brought out to us " You know damn well I'm the best lawyer at the firm other board members would vote for me " I answered raising my voice.

" Courtney behave like a lady you know better " said mom picking up her utensils " the thing is dear there's another candidate up for being board member...I believe your familiar with Marcus Baltimore " says dad cutting his steak.

Hearing that name made my blood boil " Oh I'm very familiar with Marcus Baltimore and he's an irresponsible moron that never does his own cases, he has other lawyers doing it for him, makes a show up in court unprepared, talks nonsense and if I recall there's a rumour of him taking bribes " I spoke out looking at dad.