3

I flew across the town, looking for the three ghosts. I couldn't get what Boss said out of my head.

We need to start looking for replacements...
What was coming? Why do we need replacements?

I looked at my hands and noticed that the tips had gone darker than they were.

Did I stuck up some misdeeds?

I wondered. I couldn't recall anything.

What if it's something different?

I was so deeply in my thoughts I almost missed the trio I was looking for. They were in a darker alley and Hayden was talking with a cat. Not an unfamiliar sight.

"....wait is he saying we are going to look for granny with the cats?" Charlie was just asking.
"Charlie, you're really smart! That's exactly right!" Hayden smiled.
"Thaaank you." Said Charlie with a deadpan face.
"I'm really close with the neighbourhood kitties," Hayden said proudly. "With my request and a bunch of kitty food, we can ask for anything!"
"Who pays for the food?" Asked Charlie.
"That would be Eugene." I said.
"Oh, hiya Adds!" Eugene smiled.
"Addie!" Hayden squealed in excitement. I did not know I was so fun to be around.

"Since Eugene is the only mortal among us and makes money, it kind of falls on him." I continued to explain.
"And he said kids aren't supposed to have to worry about money!" Filled in Hayden. "Instead of worrying about the kitty food money, Hayden focuses on things Hayden can do!"
"Haha, Don't worry about the cat food money. I get paid extra for taking care of the underground station security." Explained Eugene.
"Security from evil spirits?" Charlie was very interested in that.
"Well, sort of."

"Okee! So Hayden's gonna ask the kitties to help us find Joan!" Exclaimed Hayden.
"You're incredible kiddo." Charlie said with an awe in his voice.
"Really? Incredible?" Hayden flew over to Charlie and hugged him.
"Eck, get off me!" Charlie protested.
"Hayden's gonna get along real well with Charlie." Hayden beamed with happiness. "Hayden likes smart people with a good eye!"
I looked horrified at Eugene. "Oh no! It seems we can't be Hayden's friends. Such a tragedy!" I wiped away my non-existent tears.
"Oh no. What a terrible thing. What shall we do Adds?" He grinned.
"You can still be Hayden's friend!" Said Hayden. "Even if your eyes are terrible!"
"I told you to get off me! If you only weren't so useful." Charlie tried to get out of Hayden's embrace.

"See? You recognise Hayden's skills! Incredible Hayden will help! Look closely!" Hayden giggled and flew down so he was at eye level with a street cat.

"Hi! How are you?" He asked the cat. To that he got only a couple of meows in return. To everyone who could see the situation it would appear quite humorous, yet we all knew that Hayden could really understand the cat.

"See, we're looking for a grandma ghost?" Hayden explained the situation. "Can you help?"
To that the cat only meowed again.
"What does that mean?" Charlie asked, frustrated.
"She's saying that if we describe the ghost carefully, she's going to send all her kids, siblings, cousins and friends to look." Hayden translated for us.

I must've admitted that he had quite the network among the town cats.
"Describe the ghost..." Charlie thought of it for a moment. "A small, elderly grandma with a bent back, walks with a cane, has glasses and a pearl necklace and is in a state of shock." He finally came up with.
Hayden repeated the words in shock.
"That's an impressive description. You are very observant, Charlie." I smiled at him.
"I just said what I knew..." he mumbled.
"Anyhow, that kind of ghost. Can you find her?" Hayden turned back to the cat.
Another set of meows as an answer.
"Why are we looking for such an unstable ghost? Uh, we're in a hurry, so I'll tell you later."
That partially explained what the cat was saying.
It replied again in the same fashion as before.
"Hehe. Thank you." Hayden smiled, as the cat disappeared down the valley.