Chapter Thirteen

Hey girl, is he everything you wanted in a man?

New York, New York

His bedroom was a dark grey, reminiscent of the color of masculinity and raw energy. Each wall was circled by a white pearl molding that lined the ceiling and the floors. On one side of the wall was a dark wood bookcase that was stacked in a disorderly fashion. A mixture of hardback and softback copies lined the shelf. They were many genres, from tales of old veterans to fun recipes and Stephen King novels; entire collections.

On the shelf beneath that, there were three picture frames tilted from the left side that displayed favorite memories. One of them was of him with a great friend of his who had unfortunately lost his life in the war. They both stood together side by side, Bucky's arm draped tightly around the boy's shoulder, a huge smile on both their faces. They wore their army uniform and combat boots, and there were worn tires marks in the orange dirt under their feet.

The next picture was of him with his parents. His father's hair had just begun to gray and his mother wore her dyed blonde hair just above her shoulders. It was at an event in Washington DC, and his parents had dragged him along for press sake. He didn't budge, for he loved his parents with all his heart. It was taken six months before his mother had been diagnosed with Leukemia.

The third picture was of Bucky and his mother, months before she was killed. His mother had complained the whole time about how she didn't look pretty enough to be in a picture and was constantly refusing to be in it. But after much begging, Bucky insisted of wrapping a light red bandana around her bald head, tying it in the back with much care. He had told her she looked beautiful and always would. Eventually, she gave in and agreed to the picture, Bucky kissing her left cheek as the click went off.

The last two bottom shelvings were decorated with random knick-knacks - three storage boxes that portrayed as novels laid on top of each other, two bookends in the shape of a J and the other a B, and at last a little succulent plant to the far right corner. On the top of the bookshelf laid a blue Yankee baseball hat.

The walls were bare except for two framed black and white paintings that hung on the same wall as the bookshelf, side by side. It was an abstract picture, scattered black and white lines. It brought the dark grey of the wall and the crown moldings together beautifully.

On the other side of the room were two large black doors that slid open to reveal a walk-in closet, but they were closed. On the third wall was a large arched window that looked out into downtown Manhattan, the freedom tower standing tall and proud overlooking the harbor.

Across from the window was a king-sized worth bed. The bedding consisted of a dark grey bed sheet that matched the pillowcases and the walls, a heavy white comforter thrown over it and then over that a dark grey throw over the end of the bed. The headboard was only slightly taller than the pillow, a black color that matched the wooden support of the bed.