Chapter Thirty-Three

Riley feels glued to the spot as she eyes the front door with distaste.

This door never led to good things, as far as she was concerned.

Bad memories - they've all been bad and horrible memories.

She hoped this time would go differently. She needed at least some kind of hope that this wouldn't be the end of her relationship with her sister, or whatever was left of it.

It had taken her longer than it should have to grow the balls to even be able to face Ashlyn again.

Riley knew deep down that she was wrong for not had visited her during her hospital visit and nor for her to just have run to Montauk with Bucky without at least speaking to her first.

As a sister, she knew it was wrong of her.

But, as a woman, Riley hardly felt any remorse for what she felt towards Bucky, Ashlyn's husband, or for what she had done.

Riley was afraid of how to convey these strong emotions to Ashlyn without sounding like she didn't care, specifically, about her.

Bucky had talked some sense into Riley when he reminded her that at the end of the day, nothing in the world could ever stop him from loving her.

Riley had taken a deep breath when she was outside the residential building, and when she had walked into Steve (who was carrying one of the medium-sized boxes) leaving the elevator. He stopped briefly and gave her a small comforting smile.

He told her it'd be okay, and that was the comfort she needed as she reached her hand to grab his under the box. Well, she had grabbed just the tips of his fingers, but that had been enough.

Suddenly, she had been reminded of the last time she saw Steve helping her sister move. Bucky had been helping, and at the time he loved her and Riley 'hated' him.

It was ironic how much had changed.

Riley approached the front door and she was quickly afraid.

Come on, you can do this. She told herself repeatedly, trying to keep het nerves at bay.

She closed her eyes tightly together and turned the doorknob to go inside.

Riley saw her bent over as Ashlyn reached down to grab a box.

She must have thought it was Steve because the next thing she said was of no use to Riley.

"I forgot, I have a few boxes left in my room, we'll need to keep the back of the truck open—"

She stopped when she turned and saw Riley.

Her face fell and her fingers tightened around the box.

Riley took in the sight of her. No makeup, hair in a ponytail, and some loose fly-aways.

Riley felt her heart beating away like crazy in her chest as she continued to stare at her.

Riley looked around the already empty apartment and cleared her throat, her eyes falling on Ashlyn once again.

"Hey." Rylie says.

Ashlyn didn't say anything as her eyes drifted down her sister's body and to the floor.

Nervously, Riley tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and then crossed both arms over her chest.

"I wanted to see you," Riley starts, looking down at her shoes, "I-I missed you." She continued on as she realized Ashlyn wasn't going to start, "I didn't want it to happen the way it did," Riley took a deep breath, "I didn't want to meet the love of my life this way. I wish it could've been different, and for that I am truly sorry."