The End of The Affair

Two days later, Damon received a call from Katherine. He was currently in his living room, pouring himself a drink when his phone rang. He picked it up.

"You're interrupting my drink," he greeted the caller, voice laced with annoyance.

"You miss me?" Katherine's voice came from the other end of the line.

He frowned.

"Katherine. Where are you?"

"Lurking outside your window, pining away."

He sighed, already extremely annoyed with her.

"What do you want?"

"I'm homesick. What have I missed?"

"Well, Stefan's still Klaus' little prisoner and Elena still thinks she can save him and no one's thought about you since you left," Damon explained.

"And what about you?" Katherine teased. "I'm sure now that you've given up on your brother, you're plotting some sort of way of moving in on his girlfriend."

"I didn't give up on him," Damon corrected her exasperatedly. "I just don't know where he is."

"Hmm."

Understanding dawned on Damon's face.

"But you do. Are you trailing them?"

Katherine scoffed.

"A hybrid who wants me dead and his sidekick who's off the rails? I couldn't be further away."

"Which means you know exactly where they are," Damon stated, not buying Katherine's words.

"All I know is that Klaus pitched a fit once his hybrids didn't work," Katherine replied. "Now he's looking for some answers."

"How do you know that?" he asked suspiciously.

"Spend five hundred years running, and there will be a few people along the way that are looking out for you."

"Is that what you're doing? Looking out for my brother?"

"Maybe, maybe not. I'm conflicted," she playfully pondered.

Damon rolled his eyes. He had no patience for her games right now.

"Where are they?"

A few hundred miles from Mystic Falls, Klaus and Stefan got of the car.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan," Klaus said, grinning at him.

"What are we doing here?" Stefan grumbled, not sharing the Originals' excitement.

Klaus shot him an amused look.

"I know how much you loved it here. Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?"

Stefan shrugged nonchalantly.

"Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur."

Klaus face fell.

"Well, that is a crying shame. The details are what make it legend." He looked into the distance, dwelling in memories. "Word was the ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was Prohibition. Everything was off limits then, which made everything so much fun." He sighed woefully. "Chicago was magical."

"Yeah, well, I'll take your word for it," Stefan muttered, impatient to finally get going. "Like I said, I don't remember most of it."

Klaus looked at him.