Ordinary People

When I opened my eyes, I immediately felt that something was wrong. I was supposed to be at the pond, teaching the newly blossomed flower spirits the fundamental basics of their powers and duty. I shouldn't be lying on the cold ground of a cavern, staring at the pearlescent stalactites jutting out from the ceiling and I definitely shouldn't feel this exhausted. What happened with all of my cultivation? It was completely burned out. I jumped back on my feet and followed the trail of sunlight to the exit of the cavern, determined to get an answer. I couldn't afford to be weak, not when I had a duty to fulfill.

I was almost out of the cavern, when a familiar figure materialized in front of me. Just the person I was looking for.

"Cyprian," I greeted him with a nod.

"Blessed One," he greeted back, folding his hands over his heart and bowing respectfully. "You're awake."

"What am I doing here?" I asked, getting straight to the point. "And why do I feel so weak?"

His ebony-colored eyes were boring into mine.

"What do you remember?"

"I remember being at the pond, teaching the Young Ones," I replied before looking at him sharply. "Why? Is there something else I should remember?"

He shook his head and for a second I could have sworn I saw relief flashing across his features.

"No. This is precisely what happened. You burned yourself out while teaching and collapsed. I brought you here into the Thousand Echo Cavern to regain strength."

I nodded in understanding.

"I see. How long have I been asleep?"

"Thirty years."

I furrowed my brows.

"Only thirty years? Shouldn't I have been out for a few centuries if I drained myself of all energy? How did this even happen? I'm usually very careful."

He shrugged.

"Well, it seems like you've recovered fast. But I'm afraid you will still need to cultivate in isolation for the next few decades to fully recharge."

I shook my head.

"I can't. I have a duty to uphold."

I was about to walk past him as he grabbed my arm, holding me back.

"Your duty is to rid this world of the Cursed One and for that you'll need your full strength. Do not concern yourself with outside matters. For the world's as well as your own safety, please stay here until you've fully recharged. Leave everything else to us."

I sighed in resignation.

"Very well. I will stay here. However, I do hope you're not turning it into a habit to order me around. I do not answer to anyone but the Elder Tree."

He nodded and bowed again in respect.

"Of course not, Blessed One. I shall take my leave now and inform the others that you're not to be disturbed."

Back in Mystic Falls, Jenna, Rebekah, Andie and Maddox were assembled in the Salvatore's living room, a world map spread out on the table in front of them. Jenna eyed the map suspiciously.

"Do we really need an entire world map?" she asked. "I mean, how far could they have possibly come?"

"Just in case," Maddox replied. "Of course I hope Marianne's still in the country."