(Ch 5) To have love and lost(?)

"Tita A, si Fiore po ito. Mama's been involved in an accident hours prior po. She's still in the ICU. Hindi ko po alam who else to call. I'm really sorry to bother you."

"Mama's been involved in an accident hours prior po. She's still in the ICU."

"I'm coming. Nasaan kayo?" Drey shakily asked Fiore who's on the other line.

"Nasa Our Lady of Peace Hospital po kami, tita. Please come tita because I don't know what to do. My ates are trying to get on the next flights home but hindi ko po kaya mag-isa dito. In my 20 years of existence tita, this is the very first instance I saw mama this way."

"I'm on my way, Fiore, anak. Hang tight, okay? Papunta na ako."

"Thank you tita and please take care po. Please take care."

"I will, anak. I will."

Soon as the call ended, Drey was already at the bottom of the stairs. It was only 8:30pm. Rwin and Pia were in the lounge discussing things about their farm when they saw Drey coming down the stairs all rushed and puffed.

"Ate, oh my goodness. Are you alright? What's the matter? Is it Arlo? Is he okay?"

"Pi, I need to borrow your car. I need to get to OLPH asap," Drey frantically replied, "it-it's Lucianne. She was... she was in a car accident and Fiore called and she's in the ICU. Pia I need to get to Lucianne, please."

"Oh my goodness," Pia gasped, "dad, let's drive Drey to OLPH. Baka mapaano ito if we'll let her drive on her own."

"Okay mom. Let me get the keys and our jackets. Bilinan mo si Helen about Arlo," Rwin replied.

"Okay, sige," Pia nodded, "ate, umupo ka muna saglit. Bibilin ko lang ng maayos si Arlo kay Helen. Breathe, ate, breathe."

Drey did as she was told. She finally felt her knees giving way. Her legs felt like jello and her lungs felt as if she was not getting enough air in them. When Pia came back she helped Drey stand up and assisted her to the car. Rwin suggested that Pia sits with Drey on the drive to the hospital which Pia more than willingly obliged to.

"I-I told her not to come back to the farm, Patricia. I told her not to show up again," Drey repeatedly said as her tears fell, "kasalanan ko 'to."

"Ate, tama na. Please stop beating yourself up about this. Wala kang kasalanan. Walang may gusto na masangkot si ate Luchie sa aksidenteng 'yun. Okay? Wala kang kasalanan."

"What if she never makes it out, Patricia? Paano ang mga bata? Especially si Fiore? And si Arlo? Pia, mahal ko pa rin si Lucianne. Sobra. Why didn't I just tell her that?" Drey sobbed.

"She will make it. Si ate Luchie pa ba naman? She has always been strong. Kaya n'ya 'yon. Hindi susuko 'yun," Pia said as she soothed Drey's back.

As the sisters held hands at the back of the car, Drey's phone rang again.

"Tita A, are you close by?" Fiore sobbed from the other line, "mama's heart stopped."

"Oh my God," Drey gasped, "Rwin, can't we go a bit faster, please."

"I'm going as fast as I could, Ads. We're close."

"Malapit na kami, Fiore, anak."

"They're reviving mama as we speak, tita A. I can't, tita. That's my mom. Tita A, please. Gosh," Fiore cried, "Doc, teka naman. Why did you stop? Is my mom okay? Do everything! You are doctors! Bakit kayo huminto?"

The last part Drey could only hear from a distance. Her world started to spin. She does not even know how to feel.

"Fiore, what's going on?" she asked Fiore but the call dropped, "shit!" Drey cursed, "shit, shit, shit!"

"We're here," Rwin announced but Drey was already out of the vehicle running towards the entrance of the hospital.

Soon as she got to the front desk huffed and puffed she asked the nurse where she could find Luchie and Fiore. Being the former president of the Republic, Drey was escorted to the ICU ward where Luchie was.

"Tita A!" Fiore exclaimed as she gave the older woman a very tight hug before she broke down. The older woman held her back with the same intensity.

"K-kumusta ang mama mo?" Drey dared asking.

"Un- unstable po but s-she's still with us, tita. A-akala ko kanina mawawala na si mama. Hindi ko po kakayanin," Fiore said as she continued to cry.